Newb question re:flash pastuerization and campden. Also, cyser question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cervid

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to make my first cider tonight and am hoping one of the experts may see this before I get too far.

The cider I am starting with is from a local orchard, Friske. They have won many awards, but in Michigan, any cider makers who sell at wholesale must pasteurize. I'm a good customer of theirs so I bought 5 gallons anyway, after I spoke with the owner for 10 minutes. I felt like I had to. I can get unpasteurized cider down the road, and may do that next week and make that for Christmas, but I digress.

So, this cider is flash pasteurized at 160 for 6 seconds, and has no preservatives. Should I still add campden tablets prior to pitching my yeast as if it were unpasteurized?

Lastly, I was considering using honey to up the OG to 1.060 per the sticky post that spoke about it clearing better with honey. However, I want it to be ready for Thanksgiving. Should I even bother with the honey?

Or, I could use brown sugar or dextrose if others though that might ferment out faster, which I think it would.

If I chose to add 2 lbs of maple sugar I have, would I need to boil that considering I am forgoing the campden? I see a lot of recipes that just call for adding sugar to the must, but those recipes are also adding campden. I'm not as worried about the preservative aspect of the sulfite, this will all be drank before Christmas and I plan on refrigerating it after pasteurization anyway. I am planning for a sweeter cider, and am not worried if the Nottingham doesn't ferment it all the way down, I'm not adding any nutrients.

The family will love a brew with Michigan apples and Michigan maple syrup!

If I chose to add 2 lbs of maple sugar I have, would I need to boil that considering I am forgoing the campden? I see a lot of recipes that just call for adding sugar to the must, but those recipes are also adding campden. I'm not as worried about the preservative aspect of the sulfite, this will all be drank before Christmas and I plan on refrigerating it after pasteurization anyway. I am planning for a sweeter cider, and am not worried if the Nottingham doesn't ferment it all the way down, I'm not adding any nutrients.

The family will love a brew with Michigan apples and Michigan maple syrup!

Whatever sugar you add will ferment out. If you want a sweet maple syrup taste in the cider, I'd add it after fermentation. Otherwise, you can add whatever sugars you want to boost the fermentables.

The cider I am starting with is from a local orchard, Friske. They have won many awards, but in Michigan, any cider makers who sell at wholesale must pasteurize. I'm a good customer of theirs so I bought 5 gallons anyway, after I spoke with the owner for 10 minutes.

I know this thread is a year old, but your orchard owner should know that there is one legal way a cider maker can wholesale unpasteurized cider and that is specifically for alcohol production (which is considered to be a pasteurization process). Not sure if you're supposed to be a commercial brewer but MDARD does approve/allow wholesaling for brewing purposes. Cheers.

Back