Newb question on carbonating.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szerek

Reaction score
I was down at my LHBS today picking up the ingredients for my first brew tomorrow. :rockin: While I was picking up my LME and DME I saw priming tablets. Are they any good for priming or should I just stick to corn sugar in the bottling bucket?

I used the tabs once- I prefer the corn sugar or DME in boiling water over the tabs. It seems like the carb tabs made more sediment in the bottles, and cost more than plain old corn sugar. If I was kegging, say, half the batch and bottling half, then maybe I'd use the priming tablets.

My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that those priming tablets are simply corn sugar in pre-measured amounts and with the price marked up. If this is indeed the case (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) you should just go with corn sugar as it is cheaper.

For your first brew I would stick with the corn sugar in the bottling bucket. I've heard of people getting inconsisistant results with those tablets. Corn sugar works quite well just make sure you gently stir the beer to evenly distribute the priming sugar throughout. :ban:

Back