newb Q about reusing yeast/trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixt3

Reaction score
Hello to the forum. I am new to homebrew, and have enjoyed learning here for the past month or so.

I am just about to rack my first ever 5-gal batch onto some blackberries, and have a question or two.
1st - Coopers lager kit, 250 grms dme, 330 gms brown sugar, and dextrose to total 1.1 kg has been in bucket since july 16. I am thinking of racking onto a bowlful of blackberries from the backyard. Opinions?

2nd - I will start my second batch , Coopers Canadian Blonde, and want to ask if I should dump out the trub?? from the first batch, clean and sanitize the bucket, or just dump the wort from the 2nd batch onto what remains in the bucket after racking the first batch off into the blackberry secondary?

(Save-On Foods had Coopers kits on sale for 11.99 , so I bought three to get me started :)

Re trub. You can bank the yeast from this batch into a separate sanitized container and reuse later (see threads here on how to), but I would not just dump the new batch in...I would clean and sanitize the container first. One reason, aside from increased odds of contamination, is that the beers probably use diff yeast strains so just dumping them together might yield diff than expected results. On the other hand, would just dumping result in beer...yeah probably.

Re racking onto fruit. Lots of threads here on this subject too in both the beer and mead sections (the techniques are basically the same, but more common w fruit flavored meads AKA "melomels"). Contamination is less of a concern when adding fruit to secondary because of alcohol content, so generally, clean it well and crush and/or freeze it to break down the cell walls (more juicy goodness) then add to sanitized fermentor and rack away...carefully so as not to oxidize your beer. You will likely get secondary ferm activity fed by the sugars in the fruit so put an air lock in it...or just for fun ... dont. :) See threads for more details.

Oh, and dont "dump"....siphon...see oxidation.

Thank you for the info.

I think I will keep the yeast, for a cider later on.
For this, my first batch of beer, perhaps KISS is best :) The blackberries can be frozen and used later..

Latest posts

Back