newb looking for direction.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostintexas

Reaction score
Hi. i am a newb here.

I went to the brewery in fredericksburg and got addicted to beer with flavor. Now i am trying to brew an american light kit from brewers best. i cooked the wort on friday night and i am trying to be patient while it bubbles and does it thing. I look forward to reading more and more on this new hobby that discovered me.

Any and all tips or help is more than welcome. Thank you for the informative board to post on.

lostintexas said:
Hi. i am a newb here.

I went to the brewery in fredericksburg and got addicted to beer with flavor. Now i am trying to brew an american light kit from brewers best. i cooked the wort on friday night and i am trying to be patient while it bubbles and does it thing. I look forward to reading more and more on this new hobby that discovered me.

Any and all tips or help is more than welcome. Thank you for the informative board to post on.

welcome aboard! what part of Texas you lost in? i've been to Fredericksburg Brewing Company several times, and they do have good beers. We usually stay in the "Bed and Brew" rooms above the brewery when in town. patience is a virtue to have in homebrewing. let the beer do it's work, be a clean/sanitation freak, and relax. good luck w/ the American Light kit. :D

DeRoux's Broux

i live near san angelo. in the summer, we camp out at one of the local ranches. in the winter we just pick a cheap motel. the wife and i liked two of their beers. the pioneer porter and a honey lager. when i get a few under my belt from kits, i may get adventersome and try to make a simular brew to one of those.

Welcome to the board. Glad you found us! :D

There's a lot of info here already, and a lot of experienced brewers, so be sure to read up on threads that are relevant to you and post if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your first brew! :D

Janx said:
Welcome to the board. Glad you found us! :D

There's a lot of info here already, and a lot of experienced brewers, so be sure to read up on threads that are relevant to you and post if you have any specific questions. Good luck with your first brew! :D

thanks for the welcome. i am already wearing out the search function. the server is probably wondering what the nut case is searching for!

there is alot of information to absorb.

lostintexas said:
there is alot of information to absorb.

Indeed, there is a lot of info in these forums, and it covers the map as far as levels of experience, techinique, etc. One thing you might want to consider if you are just starting out is to find a good introductory homebrew book and read it through before spending a whole lot of time digging through these forums, as it would probably answer alot of your specific questions, provide some basic reference material, and generally help you hit the ground running. It would also give you a better idea what sorts of things to search for in the forum, if you have a good grasp of some of the general concepts and terminology.

As you may have already read here, plenty of people start out (as I did ;) ) by reading the Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Papazian, otherwise known as The homebrewing bible. It is an entertaining read, and he does a great job of getting the begining brewer over some of the common fears and worries. I always try to take his mantra to heart : "relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!"

Here is a link to an online brew supply store that sells this book, plus many others, that might be of use to you:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/books.asp

So, glad to have you on board, and I look forward to hearing about your future brewing indeavors!
D.

lostintexas said:
i live near san angelo. in the summer, we camp out at one of the local ranches. in the winter we just pick a cheap motel. the wife and i liked two of their beers. the pioneer porter and a honey lager. when i get a few under my belt from kits, i may get adventersome and try to make a simular brew to one of those.
cool! my mom is from West Brook, TX and I have family from Stanton, Snyder, Colorado City, etc.
BTW, that Porter is awesome! I have a grain/extract recipe from the brewer at Fredericksburg Brewing that he did for "Brew Your Own" magazine. That too is a great reference for homebrewing, techniques, equipment, etc. ***********. check it out. if you want that recipe, let me know, and I can dig it up. The rooms at the brewery are only $99/night, plus you get FREE BEER for every night you stay.
I live in Groves, TX, about 20 miles from the Louisiana/Texas border on the gulf coast.
More Texan's the better! :p
DeRoux's Broux

As you may have already read here, plenty of people start out (as I did ) by reading the Complete Joy of Home Brewing by Papazian, otherwise known as The homebrewing bible.

i got an instruction book with the kit that i bought. next time i go to the brew store i will see if they have that one and if they do pick it up. the instruction book i got made me feel like they were trying to talk to a two year old. it described all the ingredients and the general process, but did not go very far into the depth of the subject as i had hoped it would when i first picked it up.

deroux, i had no idea they were that cheap, hell i can sit there and drink $30 in beer. next time we go i will look into it.

i am from the midland/odessa area and most of my family still live there. i go to colorado city all the time, a friend of mines dad owns a lake house there. if you come this way sometime, maybe we can get together for a beer or two or five.

that link is pretty cool. thank you. the frederricksburg clone in the archive is no longer an active link, but there are plenty of other to look through.

lostintexas said:
that link is pretty cool. thank you. the frederricksburg clone in the archive is no longer an active link, but there are plenty of other to look through.
it really is a good magazine. good tips on building equipment, recipes, tips, etc.

well, we don't go that way any more, too far! we meet in Fredericksburg, of all places. i have cousins that live in Midland still (Stanton's). check out the web page for Fredericksburg Brewing (www.yourbrewery.com). they have pics of rooms, prices, schedule, menu, etc. not the greatest web page, but has decent info. but, if we do, i'll let you know and we'll swap homebrews ! :D

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

lostintexas said:

i posted that Fredericksburg Brewing Porter in the recipes section of the forum for you. print, hang on to it when your ready for it.

also, you may want to locate Real Ale Brewery's Shade Tree Coffee Porter. It's brewed in Blanco, TX and man is it good! it's seasonal though.

Eenjoy!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux said:
i posted that Fredericksburg Brewing Porter in the recipes section of the forum for you. print, hang on to it when your ready for it.

also, you may want to locate Real Ale Brewery's Shade Tree Coffee Porter. It's brewed in Blanco, TX and man is it good! it's seasonal though.

Eenjoy!
DeRoux's Broux
thank you, i already saw it and printed it out. i cant beleive how addictive this is and i am not even through with the first brew yet.

Back