Newb kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Just started kegging and am still struggling understanding sone of tge concepts. I just kicked my first keg, and everything worked out, except i had a leak on the in post and lost some gas. I had this same problem again and apparently solved it by disconnecting and depressing the poppet several times. It was on the same keg, so i hope this isnt a permanent thing.

Im burst carbing as the force carb thread instructs.
I feel like something is going wrong now because when i seat the lid and pressurize (just to chill overnight) i feel like i have a bad seal. When i turn the gas back on i can see that the lid is re sealing. Is all the co2 aborbed into the beer, and that is normal? Should i leave a little gas on it during the chilling process?
Currently, i rack the beer to the keg pressurize at 20 psi for 1 minute, then burp it out, and leave the gas on for 1 minute after i feel the o2 is out. I then disconnect for 24 hours and start the carbonation procedure.

It doesn't sound like you have a bad seal, it just sounds like the CO2 is going into the beer. I would leave the gas on once you've filled the keg.

When I keg, I purge the sanitized keg with CO2, rack my beer on put the lid on and pressurize and purge a few times just to make sure I have the oxygen purged out. Then I keep the CO2 on it and chill it for a few days to a week (around 8 psi) and it's good.

Thanks for the info. Im really enjoying kegging, but i havent been this paranoid since my first time brewing!

Not to make you more nervous about kegging (since it really is simple and easy) but just be sure to take everything apart on the keg when you clean the keg. By this I mean take off the quick disconnects. The poppets can be little petri dishes if you don't clean them (I just mean throwing them into some PBW solution). I know it may seem obvious to most but I've heard from some new to kegging that they didn't realize the quick disconnects were removable and then wondered why all their beer took on an unusual funk.

Back