Newb, just trying to make sure I have the process right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M3Shark

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I first just want to say that this place is amazing, I have been lurking on it ever since I was debating on homebrewing 6 months ago. I feel like I have learned so much, with out ever even brewing yet.

Anyway, I am finally ready to give it my first try and wanted to make sure that I at least have the process correct to give myself a good chance of success. I am going to try my hand at partial mash brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, using DeathBrewer's partial mash brewing guide.

Centennial Blonde: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

I really just want to make sure that I converted the recipe to partial mash correctly and am not missing, or overlooking anything, in the brewing process. So here is the recipe and the process as I think it is supposed to be.

Recipe:
3.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
2.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)
1pkg Nottingham Yeast

Clean and sanitize everything that the beer will be touching, or could touch.

Crush Cara-Pils/Dextrine, Pale Malt, and Cara-pils, if not pre-crushed. Bring 1.5 gallons water a little over 150F (To allow for cooling when adding grains). Add gains inside grain bag and keep at temp for 60min.

During this, Heat up additional 2 gallons of water to 175F.

After 60min, pull out grain bag and allow to drain over first pot. Then place into second pot for 10min. Remove and dispose of grains, then add original mash into second pot. As water heats up to a boil, add DME. Boil 15min then add ¼ ounce Centennial hops. Boil another 25min then add ¼ ounce Centennial hops . Boil another 10 min then add ¼ ounce cascade hops. Boil another 5 then add ¼ ounce cascade hops. Boil another 5 min, then remove pot from heat and cool in bath of cold water/ice.

Strain cooled wort into primary fermenter, add water until obtaining 5 1/8 gallons total.

When temperature is down under 70F add Nottingham yeast.
Ferment in primary fermenter 4 days, or until sg stops dropping, at 68F. Siphon into secondary fermenter, for 5 days at 68F.
Bottle…

Am I missing anything? Anything blaringly wrong in either the recipe or the precess.

Thank you,
M3Shark

Ferment in primary fermentor and leave it there for 2-3 weeks at 68F, at which point the SG will have stopped dropping (but check it over a couple of days anyway!). Optional: siphon into clearing tank (aka secondary fermentor) for 5-7 days at 68F. Bottle...

Fixed that for you :)

9 days of total fermentation probably won't be enough. Think more in the 21-28 day range, more likely 21 in this case. Let it sit in the primary for at least a week before moving it to the secondary. Alot of people here don't even use a secondary alot of times and just let it sit in the primary the entire time.

Your hop addition times are off too. The time you see is time remaining in the boil. So, get it boiling, after 5 minutes (55 remaning in the boil) add 1/4oz Centennial, 20 minutes later (35 remaining) add the other 1/4oz, etc....

Otherwise, looks pretty good.

<edit> you may want to consider adding some Irish Moss to the last 15 minutes of the boil. It will help the beer to be a little more clear. Its not a big deal if you don't though

Thank you for your responses.

Your hop addition times are off too. The time you see is time remaining in the boil. So, get it boiling, after 5 minutes (55 remaning in the boil) add 1/4oz Centennial, 20 minutes later (35 remaining) add the other 1/4oz, etc....

<edit> you may want to consider adding some Irish Moss to the last 15 minutes of the boil. It will help the beer to be a little more clear. Its not a big deal if you don't though

I don't know how I messed up the times... bran fart I guess. Would I just drop the irish moss into the hop bag with the hops in there or does it need to be separated in some way? Any side effects of using moss or is it pretty much use it if you want the beer a little more clear, don't use it if you don't care?

... bran fart I guess.

I'm not quite old enough to eat bran just yet. :mug:

With Irish Moss, you just add a teaspoon full right into the boil. No bag necessary. When you rack the wort into the primary, it gets left behind in the trub. Its a dried seaweed that filters out some protein in the wort and makes the beer a little more clear. You can get clear beer without it, but it definately helps. It doesn't throw off any flavors or have any negative effects that I know of.

Thank you... I guess I will add Irish moss to my shopping list then.

So... My friend and I got around to finally brewing today.

It was a very fun experience. Everything seems to have goon very well. We ended up with a %79 efficiency which was a lot better than I thought I would do. Yeast has been in for a couple of hours now and is already showing signs of fermentation. air lock is bubbling away.

Now the hard part of not wanting to check on it every 15min... :)

Im not the one to listen to on here if someone contradicts me but...

Why bother with the secondary unless you're genuinely concerned with clarity? Leave it in primary to condition and attenuate and your yeasties will do you right, bottle straight from there after giving them time to do their work. (The this vs. that thread seems to have a good discussion about this, along with the newb threads)

lol, I have searched that topic quite between the time that I first made this thread and now. I had actually already made the decision not to rack to a secondary since I don't really have a proper secondary to use at this point.

Back