newb carbonating a keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale402

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a newbie question when it comes to carbonating homebrew. For about 10 days I have left my CO2 regulator at 12 psi to carbonate two of my 5 gallon homebrews. The temperature has been at about 38°F now I just tried some homebrew now and I feel like it hasn't taken on any carbonation whatsoever. Is there anything that I'm doing wrong? Or are there any step by step suggestions that you guys may have? Shaking or rolling the keg is not an option. I just bumped up the PSI to about 20 and I'm going to let the temperature rise to about 45-50°F or so. Any feedback or advice is greatly welcomed thanks guys.

Hmmm - at that time and pressure, you should have had some carbonation by now (without rolling or shaking). Maybe check connections to make sure the CO2 is actually getting in the keg?

The colder the better for CO2 to be absorbed so don't raise the temp! I burst carb my beer since I'm impatient but if your not carful it could lead to over carbing. I have been doing these steps with good results.

Set PSI to 40 for 24 hours (some people do 12 hours to not over carb)
Set PSI to 10 or serving pressure for a day or two to level out and that's it!

So - question - did you burp the kegs when you first connected the CO2 to get the air out of the headspace? Not sure that would make a diff, but maybe so...

**** I knew something was wrong and I knew it should have taken about a week or so to carb. Everything seems to be hooked up the right way. I purged the oxygen out and you can hear the co2 going inside the keg. I am so frustrated lol idk what else to do

OK, so you have CO2 getting in the keg - is it staying in there (no leaks)? For example, if you leave a picnic tap connected, the CO2 will force its way out of the tap...If the keg can preserve pressure, idk, give it another week and see (but not at 20 psi)..?

If its not a leak, how much head space did you leave in the keg? Did you fill the keg to the brim? If so I have noticed that when I do that it takes longer to carb. More headspace leaves more room for the CO2 to get into the beer. Pour a couple flat pints. Set the PSI to 30 overnight. Tomorrow set it back to serving pressure, if its still flat then you have a leak.

I just set it to 30psi it's at 38 degrees I can't shake it due to my co2 line not being long enough. When I'm done force carbing it how do I get it down to serving pressure? Do I purge the top till it gets down to 12? Then turn the regulator down to 12?

Yea no leaks or anything and the head space is very small so I would assume that it will take longer I'll test it again tomorrow since I put it at 30 psi

I just set it to 30psi it's at 38 degrees I can't shake it due to my co2 line not being long enough. When I'm done force carbing it how do I get it down to serving pressure? Do I purge the top till it gets down to 12? Then turn the regulator down to 12?

You can unhook the co2 line for a bit to shake or roll it around then reconnect the co2 line to replace the co2 you just forced into solution. You can repeat that a few times as needed. You'll be drinking by this afternoon! Mug

Turn the regulator down to 12 first then purge the keg until you here the CO2 entering it.

You can unhook the co2 line for a bit to shake or roll it around then reconnect the co2 line to replace the co2 you just forced into solution. You can repeat that a few times as needed. You'll be drinking by this afternoon! Mug

We shook it for a couple min and it definitely worked a little bit I will shake it again for a good 10-20 min to get it where I want.

Now we have a foaming problem. I think the temp was set too high, we measured the beer it was 47 degrees wtf! So last night after discovering that I set my temp to 31 assuming the inside of the keg will always be warmer than the ambient temp so I'll see how that goes. Also I will be keeping the beer lines down wrapped around the bottom of the kegs.

Any thoughts?? I think that's a solid plan

I set the regulator to 30 psi for 36 hours. Unhook the gas (I don't have a pressure relief valve) and purge all the co2 out, turn the regulator all the way down, hook the gas back up and set the regulator to 10-12psi and leave it for a week or so. After the initial 36 hours it's pretty well carbed and by the end of the week it's perfect.

EDIT: I keep the beer as cold as possible during all these steps

Back