New!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam516

Reaction score
Whattya think this'll end up being? It's my first batch ever!
Steeped .5 lbs crystal 40L in cold water til it got up to 150
6lbs dried amber malt extract

2oz cascade 5.5aa% 60 min
1oz Amarillo 9.1aa% last 5 min
White Labs California Ale Starter I think wp001

We were going for an amber ale/Cali common ale What do u experts think?

Whattya think this'll end up being? It's my first batch ever!
Steeped .5 lbs crystal 40L in cold water til it got up to 150
6lbs dried amber malt extract

2oz cascade 5.5aa% 60 min
1oz Amarillo 9.1aa% last 5 min
White Labs California Ale Starter I think wp001

We were going for an amber ale/Cali common ale What do u experts think?

Well it won't be a California Common since that uses a lager yeast, but an amber ale sounds about right.

I'm not an expert but it looks like you'll have a great Amber on your hands in about 6 weeks. Hope the Amarillo holds it scent for you, it's my all time fav aroma hop. I'm upset right now because I can't find any locally..

I popped your recipe into Beersmith, everything is right on target for the beer type you were going for. (Hops at the max for the style ~ Bonus!)

Let it sit a couple weeks, bottle it and let it sit a couple more, then kick back and enjoy the awesome fruit of your labor.

Cheers!

Our brew day was Sunday- we figured we would bottle in 2 Sunday's and then let it sit in the bottles for 10-14 days - then chill and drink accordingly. I've got friends coming in the day after the 10 days of bottling. What would happen if I opened them after 10 days of bottling compared to longer?

More often as not,they won't be properly conditioned yet. But my APA was fully carbed & pretty good in 1 week. But 21-23 days they were excellent.
I bulk primed that batch,& that method def speeds things up a bit compared to carb drops. But this was an unusual case. It can happen,but most likely won't.

I know your eager to drink your brew with your friends but I think another week in the primary and an extra week for bottle conditioning would benefit your beer.

So what if I bottled it after 14 days and then waited 21 to open the bottles? Also, what changes if i refridgerate the bottles? Does that stop the bottle conditioning?

short answer. yes
it will send the yeast into dormancy
bottle condition 3 weeks at room temperature, then you can fridge or store cool

If the temp of my primary is hovering around 70-72 does that mean my ale I fermenting faster or does it mean that it's gonna taste bad?

What is exactly happening in the primary after the first 3-4 days that makes 3 weeks better than 2?

Back