New Zealand Hops wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to have a go at growing some hops this year. I live in New Zealand so this post only applies to people in New Zealand.

Seems that there is some weird regulation here that prevents sale of all the common varienties of hops. It's not like growing a potato where you choose the variety you like and plant it in your garden, there is some hop mafia that "owns" the copyright on the hop varieties or some such thing.

I wouldn't mind growing some NZ Cascade for example which I really like but that strain is not available for sale. Seems that Green Bullet and one other (which I forget the name of) is all there is.

I haven't yet tried Green Bullet, I intend to do so, just don't want to grow lots of hops that I can't actually use and I'd prefer something that I know I'll use and sits nicely in an APA / IPA which require a good amount of hopping.

I thought I'd put this thread out there early in case anyone has some other varieties in their garden. Assuming that selling the rhizomes isn't ok, then I'd be happy to trade / barter / whatever in exchange. Don't want anyone to go breaking the law here but if there's some workaround then I'm interested.

Let me know via PM. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back