New Years Weight Loss Plans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Well, back at the office and the New Years Weight Loss plan is now in effect. This will severely affect my libation quaffing. 5 colleagues in my office, and we all have 100 bucks riding on it. The biggest loser is the winner with the largest percentage lost by 4/1/08.

I could use the $500 to buy the new pants that I'll need. :D

Seriously, it's back to the gym and quaffing only on Saturdays. With my luck, my boss (who is in on it) will send me to Germany for 3 weeks knowing that my self control will completely evaporate.

Who else is looking to shed some poundage?

I need to lose about 20 lbs. I'll be putting the miles in. That's the only way I've ever been able to lose/maintain weight.

I'm with you. I had dropped about 15 pounds early last year, mostly by cutting back on beer and exercising more. Then I got back into brewing full swing...and baby #2 came along...and I've gained back the 15, plus a couple more.

Going skiing next week (which is a terrible place to try to get started) but after that I'm spending more time with my hands on the handlebars, and less on the tap handles.

I'm with ya Ed. I'm getting married soon and want to slim down for the wedding. I'm gonna get back to the gym and cut back on quaffing. I might brew some lighter/smaller stuff too...

Me and SWMBO both need to drop 15# or so. We'll get back into running and eat better (less) as well.

SWMBO also wants to reduce her beer consumption. I don't want to cut that out. I'll just cut out all sweets and other junk food instead.

I'm in the same boat as Soulive. I'm getting married soon-ish and my goal is 50lb....who knows it could be doable! I've got until Feb 7, 2009! Thats almost 13 months...

I'm with ya. I'm still trying to get rid of the extra weight I put on when I was having my back problems/surgery and I was unable to exercise and drank way too much beer.

I'm hoping to have made some significant progress by my birthday on 5/1.

I'm on the boat as well. I've got so many other resolutions as well.

I'm quitting smoking starting next week (when I get my prescription for that stop-smoking drug stuff), which will probably net me +10 pounds. I already want to lose at least 20 of my current weight by 5/31, so I'll probably have to do 30 just to keep up!

I drank alot of beer over the past year. So, I've got about 30lbs of beer gut to get rid of. It was fun putting it on. I'm on the wagon for a couple of weeks. That'll drop 5lbs easy. Good luck to everyone else.

Here's my weight loss journal:

Day1: I want a beer real bad!!! Just one, maybe 2. (This was at 8am sitting in a duck blind)
Day2: Whats more important, being fat, or being happy? If I can't have an occasional beer, I'm not happy. Oh well, gotta be healthy to enjoy beer with my sons when they are old enough.
Day3: Pretty soon I can have some beer! Dang I'm hungry.

I started low carb again after gaining back 40 of the 60lbs I previously lost. My incentive is vacation, so I'll hold true, I hope. But drinking only on weekends sucks. And I've never seen my beer fridge so filled!!

Wedding is June 8th of this year. Between now and then, I need to drop about 20 pounds.

I plan to do it by giving up food. I'd give up beer, but I'd die.

chriso said:
Wedding is June 8th of this year. Between now and then, I need to drop about 20 pounds.

I plan to do it by giving up food. I'd give up beer, but I'd die.

Same here pretty much. Looking to drop about 15-20lbs by June 6th :mug:

This little dude in my sig was #2 and resulted in about 20 lbs extra round the middle. Got back into homebrewing, too, which didn't help. Running always worked for me but now I've got a bum knee and was advised against it by my Dr.

Low carb + weights...we'll see what happens! I'm with most of you - I can do without food, but beer? No can do, professor.

I might as well throw my hat into the ring here as well...

A little over 8 years ago (I'm now 30), I weighed around 295. In about 18 months I got down to 185lbs. I followed the Bill Phillips (of EAS) book Body For Life (wiki) religiously (Bill says weights on Day 1 3 5 and Cardio on 2 4 6, with Day 7 off (including eating/drinking what you want on the 7th day). I, for a while did cardio almost 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day for a period of time). Needless to say, that's tough, near impossible to keep up (nevermind years later being married and having a child). After cutting back on overdoing it, I leveled out at around 195. Years later (after getting married, and having a child), I have fluctuated between 200-230(which is what I currently am at now). So at this point I'm really just jogging/running 3 miles 3-5 times a week and haven't been lifting weights. Eating and beer drinking haven't been the best either. So hopefully the New Year will be some form of inspiration to get down to my goal weight of 195 (45lbs to lose). I'm willing to check in weekly/bimonthly/monthly/whatever if anyone else is game...

janzik said:
I might as well throw my hat into the ring here as well...

A little over 8 years ago (I'm now 30), I weighed around 295. In about 18 months I got down to 185lbs. I followed the Bill Phillips (of EAS) book Body For Life (wiki) religiously (Bill says weights on Day 1 3 5 and Cardio on 2 4 6, with Day 7 off (including eating/drinking what you want on the 7th day). I, for a while did cardio almost 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day for a period of time). Needless to say, that's tough, near impossible to keep up (nevermind years later being married and having a child). After cutting back on overdoing it, I leveled out at around 195. Years later (after getting married, and having a child), I have fluctuated between 200-230(which is what I currently am at now). So at this point I'm really just jogging/running 3 miles 3-5 times a week and haven't been lifting weights. Eating and beer drinking haven't been the best either. So hopefully the New Year will be some form of inspiration to get down to my goal weight of 195 (45lbs to lose). I'm willing to check in weekly/bimonthly/monthly/whatever if anyone else is game...

I'd be willing to check in. We could maintain a "support group" type thing...

Soulive said:
I'd be willing to check in. We could maintain a "support group" type thing...

Buncha guys/gals sitting at their computers, drinking beer, talking about how they're having trouble losing weight?

j/k :D

Sounds like a good idea. Last year I think there may even have been a contest. I don't need that, but knwoing you all are "watching" might keep me from reaching for that "extra" brew...

Sounds like it is time to start up the HBT weight loss swap again. I am hoping to shed about 35 in the next 6 months. Quit drinking on weekdays and started working out again.

Bike N Brew said:
Buncha guys/gals sitting at their computers, drinking beer, talking about how they're having trouble losing weight?

j/k :D

Sounds like a good idea. Last year I think there may even have been a contest. I don't need that, but knwoing you all are "watching" might keep me from reaching for that "extra" brew...

Yeah, the communication would help keep us honest. I know I'd benefit from it...

I don't need to lose much, just what I gained over winter break (I work at a school and we're off for a week). It's scarier that I gained 10 lbs during that time!

Back to biking to work in the cold and the wind. But if the alternative is giving up beer...

Im in on the soon to be getting married weight loss. I have untill May 13th to drop at least 30lbs. Getting married on the beach in Mexico i have to look good. Plus i got 100 bucks ridding on it as well! Figured i might as well make a few bucks before the trip!

SD

Well I have a little more to lose than most, (77lbs.), but It's okay because I have a good plan. Last year I did a diet called Fat Flush and I lost a lot of wieght, (15 lbs.) in 2 weeks, after leveling off for the next two weeks, I took another loss of 5 lbs. So after 6 weeks, I was down 20. The only problem is, I stopped the diet and put it all back on. So my plan this year is to go hard for 6 weeks, and then try and push through another 6 weeks to reach my ultimate goal. It is amazing how the weight falls off when you eat right and excercise, But I too will not give up beer completely! Hey your allowed one "Cheat" on the diet, Beer it is!!

Eastside.........

My doctor's goal is from 257 to about 187, so that's 70 lbs. We're pretty close, Eastside!

Realistically, I'd be happy with 220. Primary reasons for weight loss are failing knees/ankles and chronic obesity in my family. Also sleep apnea/respiratory sys is beginning to be a concern. I don't expect myself to ever pop under 200 again. I'm 6'1 and husky. I don't have a dainty bone structure.

The 20 lbs I want to lose this Spring is JUST so I look good at my wedding.

blacklab said:
This little dude in my sig was #2 and resulted in about 20 lbs extra round the middle. Got back into homebrewing, too, which didn't help. Running always worked for me but now I've got a bum knee and was advised against it by my Dr.

Low carb + weights...we'll see what happens! I'm with most of you - I can do without food, but beer? No can do, professor.

:off:

that little dude in your sig is awesome. one of my favorite avatars on the board. nice job :rockin:

I'm in on this, too. I've gained so much weight lately I've got more chins than a Chinese phone book. I fasted for Tuesday and Wednesday and had a salad wiht grilled chicken tonight. I plan on keeping it around 800- 1200 cal/day. I know myself and I do better just denying myself than having 'just a little.' I was down to just around 200 3 years ago and was really looking good. Since then I've avoided the gym like, well, like a fat guy avoids the gym.

We're going to the Keys for our annual dive trip the weekend after the Super Bowl. Hope the water is warm, I don't want to have to grease up to get into the wetsuit. If I don't shed a few before getting there the Captains won't take me where I want to go cause they will figure I'm an accident waiting to happen. So I'm going to be playing it very tight till then, even behaving over the Super Bowl weekend. Hoping to drop 20 by then.

PTN

Our IT department is having a contest for a total of $200. I just purchased a pair of roller blades to get to and from work with, that'll be 21 miles a day. I also have a few months of free gym to use. I'm working to lose 40-50 by 3/10. I know it's a lot but those two with a modified diet coupled with reduced HB intake might be a possibility.

I need to join all of you. 9 years ago I was 308 lbs and went mental...

No alcohol, NO fat, lots of exercise... lived on Apple, carrots, pretzels and grapefruit.

I did 100 sit ups, 100 push ups, 100 toe touches, and 10 minutes on a exercise bike every morning and every night. The fat MELTED off! I lost 75 lbs in 3 MONTHS, and another 35 lbs in the next 3 months. I am a big bloke and was gym fit at 198 lbs, with a bit of spare skin left over from the fat loss. I lost a bit of muscle mass as well with the weight, but I was happier being a bit smaller in the muscles area when the weight was gone.. a far cry from my college football days.

Then I moved to Australia, which should have been a good thing. LOTS of exercise (new wife!) biking to work every day, long days on the beach, etc.. However, Beer crept it's way back into my life, as did red wine, scotch, cheese, ice cream etc etc. I found I could eat whatever I wanted as long as I kept biking to and from work every day (20 miles). Then Biking got too hard, and I stopped doing that, and kept eating and drinking like I was still biking.

It has taken 9 years, but I am back up around 280 lbs. Trouble is, as the weight goes on, it accelerates, because the fatter you get, the less you even CONSIDER exercising eh?

And now I have just started home brewing... AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

OK, I am getting back on the bike...

I lost 40 pounds last year. Since i've been homebrewing I put back on 9. That's only since September. I go to the gym everyday. It's those 1 or 3 beers a day that's doing it. I need to go back and only drink on the weekends.

Well, good luck to all of you! I could stand to lose a few pounds myself because I've been drinking way too much beer every night! Now that I'm using kegs, it's just way to easy to have a little more.

I don't diet, though- but I can definitely add some more exercise and be even more careful about my food choices.

I think we can really be supportive of each other's plans- and kind of hold each other accountable.

Let's get on it then.

Maybe as an aside, we can work to develop a GOOD TASTING, low calorie brew. Sort of like the cheap brew contest that was talked about last year...how low can you go on the calories per pint and still taste good?

I need to go back to my no eating after 11pm rule....I snack at night all the time, wake up in the middle of the night, snack, etc. It's 10-12 pounds of excess I don't need, and that's about it. Beer consumption has naturally gone down (except I still have 5-7 pints of Guinness when I drink it) so that's good.

Cliff Notes: Less late night eating, more water and I should be good

EDIT:

jezter6 said:
Let's get on it then.

Maybe as an aside, we can work to develop a GOOD TASTING, low calorie brew. Sort of like the cheap brew contest that was talked about last year...how low can you go on the calories per pint and still taste good?

I've always wanted something like this....so I can have 2 staple house beers, one IPA, one low cal/carb

jezter6 said:
Let's get on it then.

That's a fantastic idea. I'll gladly help.

I don't like BeerSmith because it estimates the calories for me on my dark, thick, heavy beers, and the number that it displays is usually three digits and starts with a 5.

OK. People, tell me what you think of this.

Lo-Cal-Brau
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Style: Lite American Lager

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.84 gal
Estimated OG: 1.030 SG
Estimated Color: 2.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

3 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsen Malt (1.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Maize, Flaked (2.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
60 min Mash In Add 1.52 gal of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Boil 90 minutes:
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU

1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Last 5 minutes of boil.

0.50 tsp Gelatin (Secondary)

I would imagine one could run this as either an ale or a lager. According to BeerSmith, this is 2.86% ABV, 130 cal/pint. I could get that down further, but I'd have to leave out barley.

View attachment localbrau.bsm

Back