New white labs packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
anybody use these yet? i tried one for the first time couple weeks ago, and i like them much better. You can get every last drop, like a tube of toothpaste. And they are (so they say) propagated in the pack, so the yeast has never been exposed to the atmosphere. Pretty impressed.

12486047_10153480513917901_6711398682400017671_o.jpg

Yes, used one for my second to last batch of beer that I made and harvested the yeast. Seems like a good design. Just be careful when you cut and dump it in. From what I remember the yeast is in another tube within the packaging. So if you're not careful that inner tube could slide into your fermenter. Unless there is some adhesive at the bottom that holds it to the outer packaging.

There isn't.

I've been making it a habit to gently cutt the outer package and then removing the inner package.

Thanks for the Tip AZ IPA

i would not have thought of that !!!

S

I can't re-use the new packaging like I did with the old plastic tubes. There are still plenty of inexpensive options for storing yeast, but I always chose WL over others because I would also get a "free" plastic tube.

Oh well, roll with the punches and brew beer.

There isn't.

I've been making it a habit to gently cutt the outer package and then removing the inner package.

this is what i did. the inside pack is clear. So you can role it and squeeze it, and see that you are getting every last little bit

Funny, I found that I was able to get more of the yeast out of the old tubes versus the new packs and am not a big fan. Plus I now need to remember to sanitize the scissors and pack before I cut. Fortunately I've managed to save a dozen vials for splitting my starters off.

really the only thing i dont like is the $9.50 price tag.....

I tried the 001, I shook it well, and the yeast ended up falling out in a huge chunk. It took 10 minutes of shaking in the flask to get the yeast to break apart completely into solution. The yeast ended up doing a fantastic job. I did split my starter, so I dont have to pay the high price for this strain again anytime soon.

What I did was tape that there inner pack to the glass carboy and wrap it in a sweater that way they come to the same temp right before pitching. This helped fermentation take right off.

I can't re-use the new packaging like I did with the old plastic tubes. There are still plenty of inexpensive options for storing yeast, but I always chose WL over others because I would also get a "free" plastic tube.

Oh well, roll with the punches and brew beer.

i saved a bunch of the vials. Love them.

Not a fan.
There's another discussion going on HBT about this.It seems like everyone that doesn't like the new packaging has the same issues..
PITA !

Back