new to wine making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fogline

Reaction score
ok iv,e been brewing beer for 5 months, now my wife wants to make wine how to I start? what do I need. please help

Equipment is pretty much the same. You need to add a corker and wine bottles to your pile of goodies.

I would start with one of the kits. They range in price from $60 to $300 depending on quality. I've done a few of the $60 range kits and they were good. I've done some of the more expensive kits that came out really nice.

You can also make fruit wines from just about anything but they are not quite the same as making a "named" wine from a kit.

Jack Keller has a nice wine site that I found helpful. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

I'd just add that getting the fruit to the "juice" part is the hardest part (and messiest part) of making wine. So starting with a "kit" would probably be much easier and less daunting for a beginner.

I consider myself a beginner, I've been making wine for 3 years (only done 4 batches). The only reason I make wine is because we have a ridiculous amount of grapes, pears, apples, and plums on our property and I can't find any other way to use them all up.

The processing of the fresh fruit is by far the hardest part.

As far as equipement in addition to what the previous poster said you will also need to buy potassium metabisulfite if you don't already have that, and camden tablets (which is the same thing, just in tablet form) and when the time comes, new corks.

Other equipment is the same as beer brewing (carboy, fermentation lock, funnel, hydrometer, etc)

Happy winemaking!

Back