New to this forum and to cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayself

Reaction score
So this is my first post. I am just about to finish up with my graduate school so I decided in my last little bit of time before the real world I would finally break into my dream of making my own fermented beverages. I had wanted to do beer but realized quickly that buying all the equipment I needed for that at once wasn't going to be possible. So I got me a fermenting bucket and a bunch of juice (listed below in my recipe) and started my first batch of cider. I have high hopes for this and just let me know if there is anything I can do to make my life easier for this particular batch or in my subsequent batches (at least until I can finally start my all grain brewing).

Anyway, below is my recipe, it's pretty traditional but still different enough someone might want to try it depending on how it turns out.

I went to Walmart and purchased 4 gallons of juice, 2 of apple juice and 2 of this great value brand "apple punch". The apple punch was a blend of orange, grape, apple, and cherry. Smelled great and doesn't have any preservatives.

1) Sanitized my bucket and put all but a half gallon of the juice in there. Put the other half gallon on the stove and heated it to dissolve almost 2 pounds of brown sugar.
2) I then combined 4 tsp of yeast nutrient, 2 tsp of yeast energizer, 1/2 cup of 100 degree water and my Premier Cuvee Red Star yeast in a measuring cup. I slowly poured the apple juice out of the stove that had been cooling into this over the course of 15 minutes until the cup was mostly full.
3) I dumped the rest of the sugary juice and the pint of yeast slurry into the bucket and put the lid on with an airlock.

About 20 hours later I get home from class and it is bubbling about 3 times a minute and its only getting more frequent as I type. My goal is that this is going to be stopped at 1.030 (started at 1.055). Then I plan to use my auto-siphon to move it to my old Mr. Beer keg to age a little more then use that to fill the plastic soda bottles I have collected and let it carb. I will of course not be able to bottle pasteurize these so when they get "tight" with CO2 I will just continue to keep them in the fridge as me and my friends try them out.

I look forward to any and all suggestions, I am excited and hope it turns out half as good as some of the recipes I have been drooling over on these forums for the past few months.

Cider is a bunch of fun. I use a beer yeast (SO 5, Wyeast, Nott, WL) because I enjoy a softer drink. If you want a dry white wine use a champagne yeast (lavlin). Also, I have found the longer it ages the better. Too early and it's bitter/yeasty. I use a 6 gallon glass carboy for a 5 gallon batch. My routine can go something like this.

5 weeks primary
5 weeks secondary
4+ weeks bottle/keg

Cheers!

With your goal of finishing around 1.030, keep any eye on it closely ;) With that yeast, it could easily finish fermenting in a week if your temps are on the warm side. (or it could go for 4 weeks)

There's no hard and fast rule with fermenting and aging. It's what works best for you. As soon as it gets to a point where it tastes good and has achieved your desired alcohol level, you can consume it or you can rack it to secondary and age it for as long as you want. Just be carful putting it into bottles, even in the fridge. Make sure to check them pretty regularly.

I typically ferment for 10-14 days in primary, rack to secondary and keg it as soon as it reaches the flavor and gravity I'm shooting for. (additional 3-6 weeks depending on how cool the temps are)

Welcome to the board!

this forum is the best there is. everyone on here is more than eager to lend any advice they can. they will become your brew house buds. I've been on here for two weeks and have learned so much. welcome to the fabulous world of cider my broth a. sounds like a good recipe let us know how it turns out.

clayself said:
My goal is that this is going to be stopped at 1.030 (started at 1.055).

I'm wondering how you plan on stopping the cider at 1.030 and keeping it there till you bottle? And you do realize that stopping it at 1.03 will put you somewhere around 3.3% ABV?

I did calculate the ABV and was happy keeping it low because I figured the less alcohol the younger I could drink it. It will likely get slightly below 1.030, probably closer to 1.020 when I get it transferred to the secondary and let the yeast settle again for a day or two. Then it's going to some sanitized soda bottles for a day til they get firm then in the fridge. Hoping keeping it in the fridge will keep it from fermenting further. Again hoping haha. If I wasn't 2 hours from the LHBS I would go get some Campden but sadly it is quite the hike. Will report back on my plan.

The only issue I see here is your plan to rack in the 1.030-1.020 range. While this is fine, do not expect much yeast to settle in while secondary as the fermentation will still be in full swing and the yeast will still be in suspension. If you have the space, cold crashing the entire batch in the fridge will halt/slow the yeast and cause them to drop to the bottom, or just go from primary to bottling when it tastes good. Otherwise you're just adding an extra step by going into a secondary.

Back