New to the forum!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kip

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to the forum. I haven't been making beer at home now for a few years due to space issue but now all that has changed.:mug:

I just got a single cornelius keg kit delivered and have a batch of pale ale almost ready to keg.

Just had a couple quick questions...
The quick connect connections on the keg are a real bastard to connect and disconnect from tap/co2 lines. I'm afraid over time I will break something... Is this normal? Should I lubricate them? Given this situation should I be connecting and disconnecting the tap line while pressurizing or should I just connect everything while gassing the beer and leave it that way until the beer is finished and I can release the pressure?

Question:2
I don't have a decent homebrew supply store that stocks anything to do with kegging nearby. In order to maintain the keg I need two things, Lubrcant and cleaner/sanitizer.

I was hoping there were safe easy products to be found nearby for this so I don't have to ship everything in.
I usually use diversol and idophor for cleaning my brewing equipment but I read somewhere this is an issue with stainless steel keg...
As for lube I have no idea... would vegetable oil work?

THANKS!

Hi all I'm new to the forum. I haven't been making beer at home now for a few years due to space issue but now all that has changed.:mug:

I just got a single cornelius keg kit delivered and have a batch of pale ale almost ready to keg.

Just had a couple quick questions...
The quick connect connections on the keg are a real bastard to connect and disconnect from tap/co2 lines. I'm afraid over time I will break something... Is this normal? Should I lubricate them? Given this situation should I be connecting and disconnecting the tap line while pressurizing or should I just connect everything while gassing the beer and leave it that way until the beer is finished and I can release the pressure?

Question:2
I don't have a decent homebrew supply store that stocks anything to do with kegging nearby. In order to maintain the keg I need two things, Lubrcant and cleaner/sanitizer.

I was hoping there were safe easy products to be found nearby for this so I don't have to ship everything in.
I usually use diversol and idophor for cleaning my brewing equipment but I read somewhere this is an issue with stainless steel keg...
As for lube I have no idea... would vegetable oil work?

THANKS!
1-Nope, not normal. Sounds to me like you have the Gas in/Liquid out nubs crossed. The two connections APPEAR at first glance to be the same, but they have small differences. First and foremost, the gas in connection has a smaller ring on it then the liquid out ring. As far as ring, I am talking about the metal ring above the rubber gasket. The gas in connection ring is thinner in diameter. Also, sometimes, the gas in is marked either with tick marks or any other markings that the fabricator sees fir. I know that there is a picture here showing the differences in ring diameter on this site somewhere, but I can not remember where.

2- Look into a Cleaner called PBW. It's all i use on my Kegs and everything else brewing related for that matter. Stuff works great, and can be found at any online home brew supply shop. I use Northern Brewer. As far as lube, I simply lick my finfer and apply a little spit to the rubber gaskets prior to connecting my Gas or liquid out lines. They do make a pridust called keg lube though.

And most of all, Welcome to HBT. Enjoy your stay!!!

RLinNH

Thanks for the fast response. The bad news is I may be an idiot. The good news is that you are right about the connections and when connected to the correct side it fits just fine.

I'll hunt around for some PWB.

One more thing. My keg came with 2 sets of new O rings. How long should I expect to be able to use them before they need replacing?

THANKS!

As far as lube, I simply lick my finfer and apply a little spit to the rubber gaskets prior to connecting my Gas or liquid out lines. They do make a pridust called keg lube though.

So you work hard to clean and sanitize your equipment on brew day... you are very careful to keep your cool wort from coming in contact with un-sanitized equipment... You again clean and sanitize your racking equipment, your keg and keg lids, beer lines, and faucets... BUT lick your connections? just sayin'... anyway, buy the keg lube, it's sanitary, and cheap.

Love,
EAC at heart.

RLinNH

Thanks for the fast response. The bad news is I may be an idiot. The good news is that you are right about the connections and when connected to the correct side it fits just fine.

I'll hunt around for some PWB.

One more thing. My keg came with 2 sets of new O rings. How long should I expect to be able to use them before they need replacing?

THANKS!

PBW can get expensive, take a look at this thread what-sanitisers-cleaners-used and you may be able to find cheaper alternatives. I prefer oxyclean free myself.

Oh, and when it comes to o-rings, if you use the keg lube, they can last for quite a while. If you develop a CO2 leak, o-rings are the first place I look. I do change out my o-rings about once a year weather or not they look like they need changing.

Welcome to the forum. Where about are you located? I am within a 1 day shipping of B3, you may have an online dealer close to you. As far as lube I use food grade silicone spray

Thanks for the advice!

I'm located on Vancouver island in Canada. The cdn dollar is still close enough to US to be reasonable but once customs gets their taxes and brokerage fees tacked on it gets a little stupid. There are a few ubrew shops on the island I can check out and see if someone can get their supplier to tack things onto their order for reasonable prices but we'll see. I'm definitely jealous of people who have a local shop that carries everything.

Back