New To Mead and Concerned About DAP/Urea Carcinogens Forming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothrot

Reaction score
Hi. I am a newbie to mead making.
I've got around 16lbs of raw wildflower honey and I'm planning on adding that to 4 gallons of water with Lalvin 71B to be fermented/stored in a cool basement .

From the sound of most of the advice I've read I am expecting to sit on this for at least 6 months to 1 year. So I wanted to make sure I'm starting it off correctly without rushing into something I'll regret later on!

I undertand honey lacks some of the nutrients the yeast need to thrive and that supplementation is necessary. However, all the information I read regarding DAP and Urea based energizer/nutrients seem to go on to express concern about the potential for forming ethyl carbamate.

It seems at very least avoiding Urea is recommended (according to the hightest FAQ) but it seems like something else is required to have a successful/complete fermentation.

So, is my concern unwarranted? It doesn't seem like I would really be adding -that- much DAP with staggered nutrient additions. I would like to avoid introducing unwanted carcinogens entirely if possible!

Any advice would be great!

Although 71B is one of the least picky yeast when it comes to nutrients, it is still helpful to use a nutrient that provides all the vitamins and micronutrients to help the yeast. My preference is Fermaid K which is a combination of DAP and autolyzed yeast. Lallemand (the yeast manufacturer and the maker of Fermaid K) typically recommends a 70/30 mixture of Fermaid K and DAP.

While urea is the most closely associated with ethyl carbamate, using excess nutrients in other forms may lead to higher levels of urea. However, if you are using low-range doses such as Hightest recommends, you have nothing to worry about.

Medsen

I went with the 71B for the low nutrient requirements and target temperature (along with supposedly lower instances of SO2 production)

The energizer I have on hand is Crosby and Baker, listed as DAP, Yeast Hulls, Magnesium Sulphate, and Vit B complex. I hear people talking about Fermaid K a great deal, should I just use what I have on hand or is the difference worth ordering?

I also have some Fermax, (DAP, magnesium sulfate, autolyzed yeast.)

I'm guessing Fermax would be the replacement for FermainK based on the ingredients list, so where does the energizer fit into this?

I think i'll just stick clear of things with Urea but don't want to end up creating it from over dosing with DAP containing products.

:cross:

thoughts, generally.. hm

Lavlin yeasts generally aren't picky or awfully needy, for one.

Two, meadmaking (as any zymological undertaking) will be an exercise in frustration if you aim too high too soon. Around here, 16lb of raw honey would run close to $90. Just saying. If you do something that's not quite so alcoholic and/or with residual sugars you can drink it sooner.. Not sure you're going for a super science high-alcohol drink but I feel it's implied in your post.

Three, throw some grapes in (in place of nutrient) and the yeast will eat them. Doesn't contribute a whole lot tastewise (IMHO)... cheap too :)

While the yeast claims to tolerate 16% I wasn't really shooting for that high. I was under the impression that grapes lacked similar nutrients, although I have seen people throwing raisins into the mix.

What I'm really after is just keeping off flavors out and having an at least mildly pleasant fermented beverage. Based on my available fermenting temperatures/locations (and its ability to produce esters) I selected the 71B.

I figured why should I go through the trouble of making a small batch when the same time / effort is involved with a slightly larger one. Of course, I understand I may ruin the whole thing (although I do not anticipate it!).

Back