Stuck batch of mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarch0

Reaction score
I made a 1 gallon batch of mead as a starter for a larger batch to be done after. I used about 1Kg of wildflower honey from a friend in 3L distilled water. OG was about 1.080. I used the sweet mead yeast and it was approximately 3 months from manufacture date. I did SNA of adding 0.4g Fermaid K and 0.7g DAP 4 times each at start/24h/48h then 7th day. I used a wine whip to degas it at least 1/day for the first week.

It started fine, had visible signs of fermentation. Then about day 3 it seemed to taper off. I moved it from the basement to upstairs where it usually runs between 70-75F. It is 2 weeks in and it seems to have stalled at 1.050 with no more signes of fermentation and I am really not sure why. Looking for some advice from more experienced mead makers. Did I add too much DAP and kill the yeast? Did I not add enough nutrient? I was using an online calculator based on my initial numbers and all that. Should I be adding more fermaid K?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back