New to Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellsreach

Reaction score
Having so many CO2 related headaches. Aside from the fact that I was using a 5lb tank, managed to carbonate a single 5 gallon batch and managed a few closed transfers, that tank ran out of air last night after dispensing no more than 2 gallons of the 5, but that is not my real issue.

Regulator help -- so, my regulator seems to be solid P.O.S. It was proving VERY hard to actually dial in both a charging setting (about 15 psi) and a dispensing pressure (about 12 psi). My beer was coming out all kinds of foamy -- and not just a glass or two -- like 5 glasses, before my tank appeared to be empty.

Anyway, does anyone have a really good regulator that they swear by? That is easy to dial in a specific pressure?

Having so many CO2 related headaches. Aside from the fact that I was using a 5lb tank, managed to carbonate a single 5 gallon batch and managed a few closed transfers, that tank ran out of air last night after dispensing no more than 2 gallons of the 5, but that is not my real issue.

Regulator help -- so, my regulator seems to be solid P.O.S. It was proving VERY hard to actually dial in both a charging setting (about 15 psi) and a dispensing pressure (about 12 psi). My beer was coming out all kinds of foamy -- and not just a glass or two -- like 5 glasses, before my tank appeared to be empty.

Anyway, does anyone have a really good regulator that they swear by? That is easy to dial in a specific pressure?

i use a taprite from morebeer, i close the valve to set the pressure, then open it. because it goes up slowly open to the kegs, but fast when it's closed... and if your 5lb tank went dry from pushing 2 gals, you've got a leak. I carb and push 500 a year on one 20lb tank... and now keep my tank on a analog bathroom scale to 'keep an eye on it' (just caught a leak that cost me a pound couple months ago, if i didn't see the scale drop...would have been a tank!))

and if your getting foam what are your line lengths and size? tap lines need to be equalized for resistance to pressure...

Is there a reason why you are using two different settings? If you carbonate at 15 PSI and then drop down to serving pressure the keg will eventually drop down to serving pressure during the life of the keg. Unless you are burst carbing, most people carb and serve at same pressure.

Foaming is a different issue so I wouldn't jump on dumping the regulator. The oft repeated question is what is the diameter and length of your beer tube? I assume you don't have a flow regulating tap. Your beer line should be around 3 metres long to prevent foaming (10ish feet).

Agree with the above. 3/16 bev tubing on 1/4" hose barbs. Wave a cup of water to boiling, dip the hose end into it and push onto the barb. I put on aviator clamps because it makes me feel safer, but i truly believe they are not necessary. The only down side is the hose needs to be cut off if refitting, but I have never needed to do that.

Latest posts

Back