New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigskooter

Reaction score
Can I prime my batch and transfer into keg and let sit without the use of c02? I currently have a keg but no regulator or c02 tank yet. They are ordered just not here yet.

bigskooter said:
Can I prime my batch and transfer into keg and let sit without the use of c02? I currently have a keg but no regulator or c02 tank yet. They are ordered just not here yet.

Absolutely! It is generally suggested that you prime with half the sugar you would have used for bottle carbonation. So if you had planned for 4 oz. sugar in your 5gal batch, try 2 oz. instead.

I'd not do that unless you're certain that you have enough beer so that there's very, very little headspace in the keg after you rack over. Since you can't purge out the air and replace it with CO2, it could be an issue if there's much air in there.

Why not simply leave the beer sit in the fermenter a few more days so that you're all set up to purge the air out before you rack over to the keg?

they real key to this is to be absolutely sure that the keg seals at low pressure, otherwise it will never carb.

Why can't you purge the O2 out with CO2 and also use the CO2 to set the seal?

That's what you normally do (set the seal and then purge), but the thread starter does not yet have CO2.:D

BTW- Keg lube is your friend.

Latest posts

Back