New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Framnk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm attempting kegging for the first time and after transferring my beer to a corny for the first time, I see a tiny bit of brew at the top of the beer out side coming from the poppit. It doesn't appear to be leaking other than that. When I got the kegs I replaced the original gaskets with a new set from the brew store, but the replacement gaskets weren't identical to the ones on the dip tubes, possibly they were a bit thinner. Could this mean I need to double up on the dip tube gaskets? If I don't see more leaking is this just 'normal' as the keg adjusts to pressure after replacing all the parts?

Thanks!

It happens to me sometimes. If it's slowly leaking I tap the popit with a screwdriver a few times to get it back into place. Don't press the popit unless you want to clean your beer off thus walls of your kegorator.

Yeah I lubed up the new rings, although I wasn't sure the best way to do it yet. I just rubbed some on with my (clean) fingers

Are the kegs ball lock or pin lock? I think the oring set is a little different for the two different ones. It may be nothing, I get a little sometimes on mine. Just a little leaks out before the popit seals back up. Did you connect to force carbonate, or did this happen without hooking up any connections?

They are ball lock kegs, I bought the o-rings along with the kegs so I hoped they would have given me the right set at my local home brew store ( who knows). I am using the keg as a secondary so I just hooked it up to purge the O2 after transferring from my primary. I left it a bit pressurized after purging (5 psi) and disconnected.

As an update I wiped off the bit of brew I noticed from the poppit and no more has appeared after several hours so maybe it was just the poppit seating itself since I disassembled it?

They are ball lock kegs, I bought the o-rings along with the kegs so I hoped they would have given me the right set at my local home brew store ( who knows). I am using the keg as a secondary so I just hooked it up to purge the O2 after transferring from my primary. I left it a bit pressurized after purging (5 psi) and disconnected.

As an update I wiped off the bit of brew I noticed from the poppit and no more has appeared after several hours so maybe it was just the poppit seating itself since I disassembled it?

Pretty sure the post and tube o-rings are interchangeable between ball locks and pin locks.

Leaky poppets can happen without disassembly/reassembly - just removing a beer QD can sometimes leave a dribbly poppet. When that happens I release the head space pressure (ball lock lid relief valve) then "snap" the poppet once or twice by pressing it down just a little and letting it pop back into place. Never fails to get the li'l bastids to seat nice and tight...

Cheers!

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Still nervous about kegging for the first time, but excited as hell after reading about all the benefits!

Back