New to homebrewing. Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewM8ster

Reaction score
Hello.

I placed my keg in the fridge after its 4 days after fermentation and it doesn't seem to be clearing and it's been in the for 5 days. Is this normal or not? Also there's hardly any carbonation going on??????

Regards in advance for your advice

BrewM8ster said:
Hello.

I placed my keg in the fridge after its 4 days after fermentation and it doesn't seem to be clearing and it's been in the for 5 days. Is this normal or not? Also there's hardly any carbonation going on??????

Regards in advance for your advice

We're going to need some more info. Are you trying to force carbonate the beer? What temp? What psi? What yeast strain?

Hello.

It's a brew buddy lager kit my first go. It's in my normal fridge at about 4 degrees and no just letting the yeast carbonate.

BrewM8ster said:
Hello.

It's a brew buddy lager kit my first go. It's in my normal fridge at about 4 degrees and no just letting the yeast carbonate.

The yeast won't carbonate anything at cold temperatures, they go sleepy. You need the beer to be at 70+ F for a couple weeks to properly carbonate:)

How long did it ferment? Being that its a lager, did you give it the d-rest and then lager it? May also need priming sugar if you are letting the yeast do it.

Im just following the instructions on the tin. After 9 days fermenting I kegged it then left it in the same place I had it fermenting for 3 days then put it in my fridge I had final gravity of 1.100 with an og of 1.145. Shall I take it out of the fridge until I drink it?

A lager with an OG of 1.145? That sounds more like a barley wine. Nine days is not long enough before you keg, I don't care what the instructions say. It takes nine WEEKS before I keg any of my lagers, then they sit on CO2 for another two weeks for a total of almost three months. First could you post the ingredients list, fermenting temperature, and yeast used? Second if you have a keg you can't serve from it without CO2, so instead of naturally carbing just hook up the gas and let it age another two weeks, two birds. Third while I welcome you to this great addictive hobby called homebrewing, I think the decision to brew a lager first time out was a misguided one. Lagers are a fickle beast even for seasoned veterans, there is a lot to learn about the process by brewing ales that must be mastered first.

I have a feeling that we're speaking a different language here. Oh, sure, English it is- but "brewing" language is different.

I'm certain that this tin "lager" is an ale that is labeled as a lager- like the Cooper's, John Bull, Munton's, etc "kits".

We call them a "kit and a kilo" as they are premade condensed wort with hops in them (hopped LME) and water and sugar added. Cheap dry yeast is added, and then it's allowed to ferment.

In the UK, they tend to put them in a plastic "barrel" to dispense.

Anyway, for this batch, take the pressure barrel out of the fridge and let it carbonate. Once it's carbed up, it can go back in the fridge.

Those hydrometer readings aren't correct. They are seeming to have an extra "1" in them. I have a feeling the OG was 1.045, and the FG reading was 1.000.

I have a feeling that we're speaking a different language here. Oh, sure, English it is- but "brewing" language is different.

I'm certain that this tin "lager" is an ale that is labeled as a lager- like the Cooper's, John Bull, Munton's, etc "kits".

We call them a "kit and a kilo" as they are premade condensed wort with hops in them (hopped LME) and water and sugar added. Cheap dry yeast is added, and then it's allowed to ferment.

In the UK, they tend to put them in a plastic "barrel" to dispense.

Anyway, for this batch, take the pressure barrel out of the fridge and let it carbonate. Once it's carbed up, it can go back in the fridge.

Those hydrometer readings aren't correct. They are seeming to have an extra "1" in them. I have a feeling the OG was 1.045, and the FG reading was 1.000.

No wonder I was confused, thanks for the clarification Yooper. Sounds like a Mr Beer kit or something which I know nothing about, except that you already have to be drunk to stomach drinking it. Just my opinion.
Regardless OP, I hope you get this figured out. Just remember that almost everyone has a horror story about their first few batches, don't let some questionable brews discourage you. Read and learn as much as you can, and next time get some DME, hops, and a good liquid strain to brew with. You won't be disappointed.
Happy brewing!

BrewM8ster,

Embrace the home brewers’ motto, “relax, don’t worry…!” Welcome to the club of home brewing. It is and should be a lot of fun.

My first batch was an IPA that I thought I ruined. After a lot of worrying, I was about to ditch it when patience prevailed and I let it sit for a few more weeks. It was great!

To echo mcarthur, Lagers are challenging. Not to worry though, it is a kit after all so it should be very user-friendly. It sounds like you picked a good choice to start with. Can you send us a photo of the kit? Maybe include a shot of the ingredients too.

Regardless, there are almost as many techniques out there as there are people brewing. Don’t let that worry you. Once you get the hang of the basics, you will find what works well for you. I have been at it for a while and I am still learning. You came to the right place!

Good luck and don’t worry! Have fun,

-Ritalin

It was a bought as a birthday present for me it came with the lager kit. I am an ale drinker so just trying out the lager as it came with it. I have recently bought a wherry ale kit for my 2nd try. Yes my mistake it was 1.040 and fg 1.000. I have now moved it out of the fridge and put it my office and it is at (according to the LCD thermometer) 20 degrees Celsius. So I will leave it a few weeks months and then place back in the fridge once ready to drink.

I really appreciate the help and as you said, enjoy it.

I will post a picture once it is finished.

It sounds like you will be alright. I think you got a complete fermentation too. At 20 degrees C, I am getting a little over 5% ABV too so bonus!

Again, kits are a great way to start and learn the basics without too much risk of messing up. I stayed with kits for about 6 months before got curious about what else is out there. You picked a great hobby.

Have fun and good luck. Looking forward to updates too if you want,

-Ritalin

Back