new to cider brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik1990

Reaction score
hey guys i was thinking of making a mangrove jacks cider, in one of my 30 litre drums, 500g of dextrose but i was wondering if i could back sweeten it after fermentation with stevia (artificial sugar) as i am lactose intolerant, i also use plastic bottles so can't pasteurise.

When you say 'mangrove jacks cider' do you mean the kit or the yeast? I believe the kit has a packet of artificial sweetener in it.
This is what I found when I looked at Stevia: Stevia is way sweeter by volume than sugar so if often bulked up with a filler. Some forms, usually drops or small bottles of powder, don't have fillers and are very strong. If you look at people who have tried Stevia many don't like the taste and ended up dumping the batch. I tested a small amount of power on a couple of bottles from my last batch, but it is about 4 weeks away from being drinkable.
What about xylitol? I use 1 tsp / 500 ml to back sweeten. Never experienced any side effects.

10508_1_large.jpg
when you say 'mangrove jacks cider' do you mean the kit or the yeast? I believe the kit has a packet of artificial sweetener in it.
This is what i found when i looked at stevia: Stevia is way sweeter by volume than sugar so if often bulked up with a filler. Some forms, usually drops or small bottles of powder, don't have fillers and are very strong. If you look at people who have tried stevia many don't like the taste and ended up dumping the batch. I tested a small amount of power on a couple of bottles from my last batch, but it is about 4 weeks away from being drinkable.
What about xylitol? I use 1 tsp / 500 ml to back sweeten. Never experienced any side effects.

Latest posts

Back