New to cider brewing, please give me some tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poponon

Reaction score
Hey all I'm somewhat new to cider brewing although I've got a decent amount of knowledge in the area.

This cider was made with a specific combination of apple juice volumes and is being fermented using bout a 2 Gal starter of Esc Labs St Remy.

Please check out my vid on my fermentation and PLEASE correct all of my incorrect terminology. I really want to sound like i know what I'm talking about and I clearly don't Lmao. thanks guys.

also should mention the audience for this vid was not meant to be brewers themselves but i would really appreciate critique regardless.

THANK YALL

I’m also a new cider brewer so I’m going to ask the basic questions that might be helpful to other viewers. What was the O G and did you add extra sugar to the must. Did you add campden tablets to suppress the wild yeast. Why the blanket on the fermenter? What temperature is the fermenting room. It’s my understanding. That cider fermenting should. Be below 70 deg f. That is a vigorous ferment and with the blow off goes a lot of apple flavors.

didn't measure OG will do next time.

no extra sugar added either IMO that's cheating and kinda lowbrow.

no campden tablets, but used a massive 2 gal yeast starter so should be fine. I dont mind a little funk anyhow.fermenting very quick so wild micro org shouldnt be an issue

temp is around 68. blanket just to keep temp around there. also I like to treat my fermentors like my little babies and wrap them up in blankets

Nick

Welcome to the cider making world! We don't "brew" cider because "brewing" means heat like for boiling wort for beer, or brewing coffee.

We have a lot of cidermakers and meadmakers on our forum. If you haven't seen it yet, I made a "cider for beginners" sticky thread for some of the basics including terminology. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/cider-for-beginners.508303/

I don't have speakers on right now, so couldn't watch the video. I'll check it out later, though!

Back