New to brewing - Shopping list advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beervezas

Reaction score
Hello all; I have been lurking around the forums for a long time but havent actually started brewing quite yet. A buddy and I are finally going to pull the trigger and buy some equipment. We are looking at eventually going "the electric brewery" route but I think we will initially start off with a 3 vessel gas setup. We would like the flexibility to brew 5 gallon and 10 gallon batches.

What would you recommend?
Here is our shopping list for the hot side:

1x Edelmetall Bru Kettle 20 Gallons
1x Megapot 1.2 All grain set 20 Gallons
1x Edelmetall Bru Burner
1x Wort Chiller(Havent decided on which one)
1x Fermenters Favorites Yeast Starter Kit - 2000ml
1x Gravity Testing Kit(Havent decided on which one)
1x Mash Paddle
1x StarSan Sanitizer

What are your thoughts?
-Thanks!!

My thoughts? Before you spend a couple grand on equipment, without having actually brewed anything, you should consider starting out with something simple and cheap.

For little more than a hundred bucks you can buy a turkey fryer, plastic buckets for fermenting and bottling, and the small items (thermometers, hydrometer, sample jar, racking cane, etc.) whch you will use as long as you brew, and do a few BIAB brews. Find out what the process is all about and, most importantly, find out if homebrewing is something you want to pursue seriously.

It's a lot less painful to sell $100 worth of slightly used stuff on Craigslist for <$50 than it is to sell $2000 worth of stuff for $500. :cool:

It seems like if you eventually want to go electric, you might be wasting a lot of money on equipment you will then not need. Why not start with an electric system?

3 pots and just one burner? What type of layout do you envision here? A stacked gravity system? Are you planning for a pump? Why the Edelmetall kettle vs another MegaPot 1.2 (says the OCD person in me)? I would be tempted to use the MegaPot 1.2 set for Mash and Boil and get a 10 or 15 gal hot liquor tank (or pump sparge water into a cooler).

I only brew 5 gal batches (with a 10 gal boil kettle). 20 gal pots are going to be massive for a 5 gal batch...but I could see where a 20 gal mash tun and boil kettle might be useful at times for 10 gal batches. I had a crappy lauter system (5 gal pot for hot water and a 6.5 gal bucket as my later tun) and recently moved to BIAB. BIAB might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
To start, I would recommend some 10 gallon igloo coolers for mash tun and HLT, with the parts ready to go(or build yourself) and a decent fermenting vessel. They are cheap and will last forever. Even if you decide to upgrade in the future you can still use them for almost anything. For fermenting, I like stainless steel so I don't have to deal with glass, light, etc, but its all about whats in your budget.

A 10 gallon boil pot would be good to start, even full a 10 gallon kettle full of hot wort is hard to carry, if you need to.

Starsan is a must for me, and PBW for cleaning.

I also like some buckets, etc for holding santizer for brew day.

What styles are you planning to do? How are you going to hold temps on fermentation? Just some things to think about.

Like @grampamark said, start small, cheap, see if you really like doing it, make a few brews and see if its something you want to keep doing, then upgrade. Its very fun to upgrade once you have a few brews under your belt. You'll be like "OH! I can get this now to help me do X now!"

I'm still quite new myself, but hope this helps a bit! Cheers!

Great replies so far; thanks for taking the time!

I understand this might seem like an unreasonable way to start... so to answer some of your questions and to give insights on our reasoning(right or wrong). We are newbies; we have some knowledge and have brewed beer with friends. But we are definitely newbies.

I live a little south of you guys(Mexico) so besides the big delays; every time I buy items online I need to pay extra shipping and importation fees... hence sometimes it is easier to pony up the first time and get what we really want. I had the cooler setup in my shopping cart but then we were thinking "For an extra $200 we can upgrade to Stainless", then we thought "for an extra $80 we can go from 8 gallons to 15 or 20 gallons"... etc etc etc

Everything costs more here. If we bought the "Northern Brewer" cooler setup here in Mexico (Which costs $329 on northernbrewer.com) it would cost us $1520USD plus shipping. Which is crazy. So we are importing everything ourselves.

Yes, we are looking at a gravity/tiered setup, with pumps perhaps down the road. Why the Megapots, then the Edellmetal? I guess to see the quality between the two brands... again; perhaps faulty reasoning.

I totally understand the start small thing... but again it is difficult to get these items down here. As some of you may know good beer is difficult to find in Mexico. More and more micros are popping up in the country which is great but the beers arent quite there yet and are costly. We regularly import beer but it is quite expensive as well. So we see ourselves brewing somewhat regularly and having enough to share with neighbors, friends etc.

If your ground water is reasonably cool definitely get a plate chiller. If you're doing hoppy beers tho get an immersion counterflow. If you got $$$ to spare get what you want and enjoy it!

I personally would stay away from the Megapot. It uses weldless fittings and they're not that great, at least in my experience. For similar money you could have a spike kettle with welded fittings instead of the weldless ones. Spike kettles are 1.2 mm thick, whereas the Megapots are only 1.0 mm.

I had a Megapot; sold it and bought the Spike. No comparison.

I agree with those above--it's worth starting slow, and building competence as you go. Brewing is simple, but it's not simplistic.

And if you're going to dump a couple thousand dollars into equipment, you want to be sure. I appreciate that you're asking for advice here, which is a good move.

It appears you're using Northern Brewer as the source for your equipment. Here's an example why I think you should broaden your potential sources:

You want an Edelmetall Bru Burner. It's rated at 72,000 BTUs. You'll want, more than likely, to add legs to it, putting you at about $200.

Or, you could get a Blichmann Hellfire. Same price with the legs, but 140,000 BTUs.

I've already noted how Spike kettles compare to the Megapot. If you decide to keep using Northern Brewer, you'll miss out on other sources of chillers, for instance, a Jaded Brewing Hydra. That thing is amazing, simply amazing, and if you want to do 10-gallon batches you'll want something that chills fast. Northern Brewer doesn't offer them, theirs are less....powerful, I guess you'd say.

It may reward you to spend a little time (a few days maybe) looking at the equipment threads on Homebrewtalk and see if any of that changes your mind. But reconsider whether starting small is a good idea. I think it is, and you may find you change your mind on what you would like to buy.

Good luck at any rate, enjoy the process, and welcome to HBT!

I personally would stay away from the Megapot. It uses weldless fittings and they're not that great, at least in my experience. For similar money you could have a spike kettle with welded fittings instead of the weldless ones. Spike kettles are 1.2 mm thick, whereas the Megapots are only 1.0 mm.

I had a Megapot; sold it and bought the Spike. No comparison.

I agree with those above--it's worth starting slow, and building competence as you go. Brewing is simple, but it's not simplistic.

And if you're going to dump a couple thousand dollars into equipment, you want to be sure. I appreciate that you're asking for advice here, which is a good move.

It appears you're using Northern Brewer as the source for your equipment. Here's an example why I think you should broaden your potential sources:

You want an Edelmetall Bru Burner. It's rated at 72,000 BTUs. You'll want, more than likely, to add legs to it, putting you at about $200.

Or, you could get a Blichmann Hellfire. Same price with the legs, but 140,000 BTUs.

I've already noted how Spike kettles compare to the Megapot. If you decide to keep using Northern Brewer, you'll miss out on other sources of chillers, for instance, a Jaded Brewing Hydra. That thing is amazing, simply amazing, and if you want to do 10-gallon batches you'll want something that chills fast. Northern Brewer doesn't offer them, theirs are less....powerful, I guess you'd say.

It may reward you to spend a little time (a few days maybe) looking at the equipment threads on Homebrewtalk and see if any of that changes your mind. But reconsider whether starting small is a good idea. I think it is, and you may find you change your mind on what you would like to buy.

Good luck at any rate, enjoy the process, and welcome to HBT!

Thanks for the input; and yes, I have been leaning towards NorthernBrewer probably because I am new to the scene and they always come up as the first option in searches... so I appreciate your input! I generally rely on the customer reviews but in this case I have a feeling that the reviewers have little more experience than I do. That is why HBT is such an amazing resource. I will definitely look at the blichmann hellfire, spike kettles, and the hydra chiller. This is the kind of input I am looking for.
Thanks again!

If your ground water is reasonably cool definitely get a plate chiller. If you're doing hoppy beers tho get an immersion counterflow. If you got $$$ to spare get what you want and enjoy it!

Hey PianoMan; thanks for the reply. This time of year the water is cool-ish. In the summer the water is always warm. Do you have a chiller you would recommend? We aren't rich; but we also aren't broke.... you might call us Dinks (double incomes no kids). So while the wives weren't watching we perhaps slightly over budgeted this project. We have been talking about it for about years but work has always distracted one or both of us. To be honest I like to start off small on new projects but my buddy likes to "do things right".
Thanks again for the feedback.

My personal aesthetic is very low tech and I want to do small batches on my stovetop. I found it annoying that everyone I talked to wanted me to do 5 gallon batches like most brewers. You should do exactly what you want to do. You’ll find, I’m sure that what you purchase in some ways fits your goals and in others ways doesn’t. That’s life. I’m not sure if you were just listing the big ticket items but you will want other things like fermentors (big mouth bubblers), some sort of fermentation chamber with manual or automatically controlled temperature. A big spoon will do you more good than a mash paddle. You should make your own mash paddle if you want a special one. Two hydrometers in case one breaks, a big auto-syphon, a bottling wand, several 4 foot lengths of clear plastic tubing, bottles or kegging equipment, PBW or Oxyclean Free, I cool my wort in my sink but if I did 5 gallon batches, I’d use an immersion chiller like The Jaded Hydra, your ground water temp is an issue with that but there are ways to get those last few degrees out of an immersion chiller once you get close. Brew in a bag is a great way to lower your equipment cost without sacrificing on flexibility or quality, especially if you buy 2 big pots.

Can you get stainless steel 5 gallon tamale pots where you are? How about the white HDPE 5 gallon buckets? Paint strainer bags? Corona style grain mill? Add a hydrometer and some vinyl tubing and you have a basic all grain setup needing only a heat source that can boil 3 gallons. That setup can get you experience with all grain brewing with 2 1/2 gallon batches. If they turn out good, you can make 2 or more in a day. If they turn out horrible, you only lose a case of beer.

After you have some experience brewing the smaller batches you will have a better idea of where you want to go from there and you will have a tamale bucket to use in the kitchen for tameles? and a 5 gallon bucket for cleaning and sanitizing your equipment if you want to go big. That leaves you with little wasted money, a ton of experience, and some beer to drink.

Thanks for the input; and yes, I have been leaning towards NorthernBrewer probably because I am new to the scene and they always come up as the first option in searches... so I appreciate your input! I generally rely on the customer reviews but in this case I have a feeling that the reviewers have little more experience than I do. That is why HBT is such an amazing resource. I will definitely look at the blichmann hellfire, spike kettles, and the hydra chiller. This is the kind of input I am looking for.
Thanks again!

Guess where I started out? Northern Brewer. Yeah.

IMO, the single hardest thing for new brewers to learn is not water chemistry, yeast preparation, timing the boil, racking to fermenter, bottling, kegging, recipe formulation, or any of that.

It's PATIENCE! Don't ask me how I know. :)

You might ask yourself where you want to be in, say, 6 months as a brewer, because what you can do then is more important than what you can do now. If you were brewing very good beer at 6 months, is that OK as a goal? If it is, then the interim is learning time.

I'm impressed that you're committed to investing some significant cash into this. The old saying "buy once, cry once" is very true.

Since your budget is robust, buying high quality equipment will reward you. I bought a kit originally from Northern Brewer, along with a kettle and the added other stuff (hydrometer, spoon, chiller, things like that). Had over $400 in it.

Later I discovered MoreBeer. They have a Premium starter kit for $239 that includes literally everything you need except a heat source and bottles. It has an extract recipe included, includes hydrometer, chiller (!), kettle, Star-San, thermometer...

It's a stunning deal for a starter kit. The only thing I'd do with it is call and ask to substitute a 10-gallon kettle for the 8.5-gallon kettle so one could do Brew-in-a-bag.

I ended up selling off my Megapot, silver-serpent chiller, propane burner, a few other items and putting the proceeds toward the Spike kettle, the Hydra chiller, the Hellfire burner.

Wishing I'd bought all that from the outset, but how do you know you're going to like the hobby enough to invest in it at that level?

Anyway, every brewer here has regrets like that, of things they wish they hadn't bought, or had.

Later I discovered MoreBeer. They have a Premium starter kit for $239 that includes literally everything you need except a heat source and bottles. It has an extract recipe included, includes hydrometer, chiller (!), kettle, Star-San, thermometer...

I have looked around at starter kits...mostly in response to people asking about what starter kit they should get...and that one from MoreBeer is the only budget one I see and think "I would like to brew with that kit today". The only issue that I see with it, as you pointed out, is that a good chunk of the money goes toward a 8.5 gal kettle, where I really like my 10 gal kettle. But...an 8.5 gal kettle should support about any 5 gal batch process that involves a sparge (fly/batch sparge or BIAB with a sparge).

Morebeer starter kit is awesome . Great kit for the price. If you are dead set on spending over a certain amount then might as well get what you want . Theres been too many times I've settled only to later get what I wanted in the first place . That means spending more $ in the long run.

Hello all; I have been lurking around the forums for a long time but havent actually started brewing quite yet. A buddy and I are finally going to pull the trigger and buy some equipment. We are looking at eventually going "the electric brewery" route but I think we will initially start off with a 3 vessel gas setup. We would like the flexibility to brew 5 gallon and 10 gallon batches.

What would you recommend?
Here is our shopping list for the hot side:

1x Edelmetall Bru Kettle 20 Gallons
1x Megapot 1.2 All grain set 20 Gallons
1x Edelmetall Bru Burner
1x Wort Chiller(Havent decided on which one)
1x Fermenters Favorites Yeast Starter Kit - 2000ml
1x Gravity Testing Kit(Havent decided on which one)
1x Mash Paddle
1x StarSan Sanitizer

What are your thoughts?
-Thanks!!
Youre just starting and already prepared to drop a couple grand on a system and you've not brewed anything yet.
Youre brave. I understand the buy once, cry once thing. BUT...
I would suggest buying a 5 gallon starter equipment kit first and at least brew something before you go ahead and go all out. Converted cooler mash tuns can always be converted back to original cooler status to transport your finished beer. Kettles and a burner can be used for fish frys or turkeys. a simple triple scale hydrometer and floating glass thermometer will work fine .Star San and Oxiclean is all I use . Wort chiller- a simple copper coil immersion is my choice. Grain mill. Food grade lidded buckets .
So far, its a relatively inexpensive list of equipment.
At least, try an extract or BIAB first. Get the basics down first. This isnt rocket science but its not as simple as one thinks either. your first few brews are going to be a learning process. Including myself , theres plenty here that are still learning.
I have brewed for almost 3 yrs and so far (counting whats in my fermenter)7 brews under my belt that are AG, one of which my own scratch built recipe . I have yet to buy a mash paddle. I just use my long handled SS spoon because i can clean it without having to worry if I've missed a spot or it absorbs and it somehow harbors a bacteria to another batch down the line .
You're going to get a mile long list of pros and cons of going all tech right out the gate.
Have fun with it ,whatever you decide.

I have looked around at starter kits...mostly in response to people asking about what starter kit they should get...and that one from MoreBeer is the only budget one I see and think "I would like to brew with that kit today". The only issue that I see with it, as you pointed out, is that a good chunk of the money goes toward a 8.5 gal kettle, where I really like my 10 gal kettle. But...an 8.5 gal kettle should support about any 5 gal batch process that involves a sparge (fly/batch sparge or BIAB with a sparge).
the 8 gallon kettle I started with , I quickly made my strike and sparge water kettle after 2 brews and bought a 10 gallon to take its place as boil kettle. Thanks to advice in here. So much better with this setup for 5 and 6 gallon batches . No more worries it'd boil over .

I would go with pot/cooler to be able to make 10gal batches as you said you and your buddy are doing it. This will allow for you to brew together and each walk away with 5gals and if brewing by yourself gives you the option of split batches to try different yeasts, add fruit to one, etc. And if your going to skip steps I recommend going straight to kegging...cleaning bottles, caps, capper, spilling, all the sani and dextrose, added 3 weeks to carb. I enjoyed brewing so much more when I could siphon into a single vessel, force carb (no yeast at bottom of glass), and cut my grain to glass time by a minimum of 2 weeks.

I went the pot/cooler direction, but now have shifted to a robobrew for convienence. The 3 biggest reasons why is I can go electic all grain 6 gal batches indoors, less space being taken up in condo and the temp control to ensure mash temps

We are looking at eventually going "the electric brewery" route but I think we will initially start off with a 3 vessel gas setup.

I had a crappy lauter system [...] and recently moved to BIAB. BIAB might be worth checking out.

The OP is where I was 2 years ago. I started out down that road, and then did an about-face and have been doing single-vessel no-sparge BIAB for about a year. A 15g pot/keggle, a decent burner, an immersion chiller, and a BIAB bag, and you're in business.

There's been several threads on BIAB v 3v lately, some of which got heated. In my own experience, BIAB is simpler, cleans up easier, and produces the same quality product. I am not really going to debate it, just giving you my own 2¢.

Brew some beer first, then figure out how much time/space you want to commit to the process.

So while the wives weren't watching we perhaps slightly over budgeted this project. We have been talking about it for about years but work has always distracted one or both of us. To be honest I like to start off small on new projects but my buddy likes to "do things right".
Scenario to consider...
One comes to mind since it happened to me(previous small business ). This is a venture you're doing with your buddy , splitting costs Im sure and most likely the equipment would stay at one or the others house as portability with a huge setup would be labor intensive.
What happens down the road one of you gets busy (kids happen,work schedule,whatever) and cant brew when the other wants to .one of you is left with this . It becomes a one person work day and expense.
Do either of your wives enjoy beer or would step up to help in the case you or your buddy can't?
I brew alone,mostly while I'm laid off from work while shes at work. It gives me something to do on rainy days I can't be outside or working on other projects. Gets me away from the computer.
My wife likes beer. I enjoy her helping me decide what to brew next. She helps me bottle.
But, I also am that guy that "if youre going to do something, do it right" and spend good money on quality equipment.

Hey PianoMan; thanks for the reply. This time of year the water is cool-ish. In the summer the water is always warm. Do you have a chiller you would recommend? We aren't rich; but we also aren't broke.... you might call us Dinks (double incomes no kids). So while the wives weren't watching we perhaps slightly over budgeted this project. We have been talking about it for about years but work has always distracted one or both of us. To be honest I like to start off small on new projects but my buddy likes to "do things right".
From Duda Diesel. Same 40plate chiller as Blichmann but half the price.

+1 for the Edelman burner. Does fine for my 6gal batches. But I also brew on my electric stove.

+1 For the 10gal Home Depot cooler to mash tun conversation. Pretty easy. Got a false bottom from my LHBS also.

I do aluminum pots which are cheeper. They heat faster (and cooler) then SS. I've modified them myself. Step bits are awesome.

I do both 3.5gal batches in modified home depot buckets and 6gal in your usual 7.9gal buckets. I can give references but pretty damn good beer comes from these items.

Your biggest bang for the buck, aka "Doing things right", for making superior beer is sanitizer, proper water chemistry, proper fermentation temperature control, and low oxygen transfers especially for high hoppy beer.

Screenshot_2019-01-17-13-20-07.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot the item itself. You can get the disconnect fittings from your LHBS shop.

My goal was 75% of what I brew is better then 75% of retails. That's been accomplished except for maybe true sours and NEIPAs deserve extra attention and equipment to ensure no oxygenation, so they're still a work in progress.

Here's my yeast starter advice. The best yeast starter is a 3.5gal batch of a lighter easy drinking beer of the same style; stout to RIS or Dubbel to Quad.You get to drink some nice brew while watching your heavier beer ferment.

In a nut shell your equipment should reflect what you want to drink, budget and the the time available. Remember, you got to properly clean all this **** also!! [emoji16]
20190117_133113.jpeg

Last edited:
i see they have hardware stores in mexico too! i'd assume you can pick up a 10 gal round cooler at a local store, pop out the spigot, replace with ball valve. get some stainless braid off a supply hose. you like tamales down there right? i bet they sell all kinds of 15 gal aluminum or stainless pots...and as far as cooling just buy 50' copper tubing and wrap it around a plastic bucket, then put fittings on it...(this is MY personal brew setup)

A couple things you are forgetting, all the gear that you need for bottling. With zero experience, I would buy a decent kettle and try brewing an extract batch first. (The fryer kettles are usually too thin) If you like it, invest in another kettle and try an all grain batch. A decent kettle is something you can build on. You can invest in a burner for the first batch or if you have an understanding spouse you can boil inside to start. See how it goes, get the lay of the land with your brewing space. Then make decisions based on your experience.

We are newbies; we have some knowledge and have brewed beer with friends. But we are definitely newbies.

This needs emphasising. And if you can afford it then as described below you have a good reason to buy once-but-right so why not go the full Monty. At the same time, there's nothing particularly magic about most brewing equipment, mostly it's just heating stuff, pumping liquids etc as has been mentioned with the tamales pots, bending your own copper pipe and so on, you will be able to make beer just from hardware available domestically. I'm told I make good beer and yet I don't own a single item of stainless steel, it's all plastic buckets, copper chiller etc.

A lot of it comes down to knowing yourselves - are you interested in the science of brewing, the engineering, or do you just want to get CHEAP BEER!! Nothing wrong with the latter, and it often leads to one of the former, but what works for one personality won't work for the other. Don't be too taken in by the engineering subgroup on HBT who fetishise all things shiny.

The other thing to emphasise is that although everyone talks about recipes as a standard 19l/5 US gallons there's nothing magic about that figure. I started off making recipes in that size but I found that as someone interested in the science who doesn't actually drink too much, I now make 13l or 17l batches that I split into 3 or 4 batches of just over 4l, with different yeast/hops etc. It makes a lot of sense to buy good stuff between two of you, but will you really be able to find the time to get together? How much beer do you _really_ drink? Do you just want to knock out a basic eg Citra IPA or British bitter in bulk, or smaller amounts of a wider range of beers? And so on.

Everything costs more here. If we bought the "Northern Brewer" cooler setup here in Mexico (Which costs $329 on northernbrewer.com) it would cost us $1520USD plus shipping. Which is crazy. So we are importing everything ourselves.

Ouch - so much for NAFTA/TLCAM.... Have you looked at domestic options? If nothing else it would mean you're paying import taxes on wholesale prices rather than retail. These places stock White Labs yeast, which points to a certain level of sophistication, the stores in Tijuana in particular may have "cost-effective" options for imports....?

More and more micros are popping up in the country which is great but the beers arent quite there yet and are costly.

Make friends with any local breweries. Not only are they good just to chat to for advice (even if you don't rate their beer!) but one of the biggest problems for people in less-homebrew-friendly countries seems to be malt. It's low-value but bulky & heavy, which means shipping charges can be brutal for single bags and it's particularly helpful to be able to buy it off people who are already buying it by the truckload. And hops and free yeast as well if you're lucky, but grain is the big one.

Since you're not taking the bargain-basement route, a few cheap nice-to-haves :

Autosiphon - less relevant for a big system if you have pumps, but still useful to have around.
Heat resistant silicone gloves - you're moving a lot of hot liquids around.
Spare hydrometer - HBT members have broken thousands but they're cheap.
Finishing hydrometer - separate from the above, it's nice to have one that only reads to 1.020 for better resolution of your finishing gravity, whether it's stable etc.

Now as a former lab rat, I love a bit of "proper" science gear. But there's nothing particularly magic about conical flasks and in some ways they're a bit of a PITA - they are quite fragile and they kinda imply a stirplate. Personally I take a James Bond approach to starters - shaken not stirred - so use bottles with screw-on caps. OK, I use proper borosilicate bottles, but you can use HDPE milk containers if you have them? Boil up some extract in a pan, cover and cool, then pour into the sterlised container and shake it up really hard, add the yeast then just give it a gentle shake every time you pass it.

Also bear in mind that you ideally want a starter to be 5-10% of the volume of your final beer, so once you start heading up to 80l+ then really you're getting to the stage where it's better to think in terms of using a small beer to grow up your yeast rather than just pouring off 4-8l of starter supernatant.

Whether or not you go that route, a couple of spare plastic buckets are useful for weighing out grain, dumping spent grain into etc.

Also think about grain storage in sealed containers - I guess storage is more of a problem in tropical countries than here.

A reliable thermometer is more than a nice to have - something like a Thermopen.

You need 5+kg scales to measure out grain, but it's also useful to have some small scales that are more accurate to measure out hops and water salts, say 100g or 200g at 0.01g precision.

My inner lab rat does like my proper yeast wrangling kit. I know you can use jamjar lids as Petri dishes and paper clips as innoculation loops, but a 10-pack of glass Petri dishes and a proper loop are not expensive. Also I guess the logistics mean that you'll be looking to reuse yeast as much as you can (you can't use the typical homebrew strains indefinitely, but even 6-8 generations is a useful saving) so reusable McCartney tubes are nice for storing slants on, although you can also use disposable tubes. Or store in microcentrifuge tubes in glycerol in the freezer. You need a flame as well - I use one of those little handheld blowtorches, but you could use a gas stove.

I'm sure there were other things I meant to mention but that's some pointers - good luck.

A reliable thermometer is more than a nice to have - something like a Thermopen.
I'm a cheapsake and hate to spend money, but I can't oversate my love of my Thermapen. Yes, it is a a $75 thermometer, but it just works, instantly, and is so much more durable than all the previous junk I wasted money on.

I'm another vote for not spending a lot of money on a gas setup if you think you will eventually go electric. Nearly every homebrewer has a pile of equipment that rarely or never gets used that was bought as an incremental step up of equipment. It's a lot of wasted money.

If you are committed to that route I would suggest looking around local craigslist and facebook buy/sell groups for used equipment. If you are in or near an urban area there will almost certainly be full homebrewing setups available for a fraction of what it would cost to buy everything you have on your list. When it's time to upgrade you can sell the old equipment back into the internet.

I'm another vote for not spending a lot of money on a gas setup if you think you will eventually go electric. Nearly every homebrewer has a pile of equipment that rarely or never gets used that was bought as an incremental step up of equipment. It's a lot of wasted money.

If you are committed to that route I would suggest looking around local craigslist and facebook buy/sell groups for used equipment. If you are in or near an urban area there will almost certainly be full homebrewing setups available for a fraction of what it would cost to buy everything you have on your list. When it's time to upgrade you can sell the old equipment back into the internet.

not sure if craigslist works in mexico, but i'm pretty sure they have hot water heaters, and an replacement element could be bought at the local hardware store also...

Back