New to brewing need a Cooling setup for Sydney

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DzR

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been reading the forums for a while and thought I would join, I have completed 3 brews so far, however they are sitting a little warm in the Australian climate.

The fermentation usually always sits at 24c, sometimes creeps to 26c, So I want to create a cheap cooler setup. I thought of a fridge and a tempmate etc, however I don't really want to spend that much and im bad at wiring, So I was thinking of a Swamp Cooler. I brew under my staircase on solid concrete and the brew stays 24/26 celcius.

Only issue is my fermenter as a low lying Spigot, So i really don't want to use water, So im wondering if anyone is able to assist me with ideas. Would be much appreciated.

I have 2 of these fermenters
IMG_2922.jpg

Cheers for that, Nice to see pictures

Im just concerned about the spout as its plugs in rather that screws or clips etc, I know it doesnt leak out but concerned about it leaking in.

Maybe a large plastic bag to cover the bottom half of the vessel

Cheers for that, Nice to see pictures

Im just concerned about the spout as its plugs in rather that screws or clips etc, I know it doesnt leak out but concerned about it leaking in.

Maybe a large plastic bag to cover the bottom half of the vessel

Well if it holds the pressure and doesn't leak out, then as long as you don't fill the swap cooler above the beer on the inside of the fermenter then you should still have positive pressure. But I'm not a doctor. Then sanitize the crap out of it before you use the spigot. (pun intended)

lol

Thanks, I was thinking of adding a large plastic bag under the fermenter to cover the spigot, then I could add some bleach to the water to keep it clean.

Because ive got a Pale Ale brewing atm, and it fermented at 24c, so not sure if im having issues with it

Well,

My first 2 brews seem to have worked well, however at a bit higher temps than I would have liked, So last week I picked up a 90ltr esky to create a Swamp Cooler.

And last night the brew began a Mexican Cervesa with lime, anyway got it all set and the temp was 26-27c, placed it in the swamp cooler over night and woke up this morning to 20c brew, great so changed the ice, half way thru a 32c day in Sydney the brew is sitting between 14-16c. So I had to remove some ice. I would say this is a success, I want to get it sitting between 16-18 and I will be happy.

Will post some photo's tonight, but pretty much its a huge esky, with my fermenter placed in one side of it around that I have 2 2ltr coke bottles of ice, and 1 1.25ltr bottle of ice. and then the esky has 3 dividers in it that are made up of the blue ice that can be taken out and frozen, and I freeze 2 and use 1 and alternate

All of this is covered with an old sleeping bag apart from the air lock, So for $40 for the esky off gumtree and empty bottles, I am very happy and now am excited knowing I can brew a good amount off different type of beers.

Took a few photo's this morning, well here it is.

My $40 Swamp Cooler with one of the kids old sleeping bags, I was using 3 Ice Bottles and 1 Ice Divider, but had to remove some as on the 31c day that just past, the brew was at 12-14c.

So now its nicely around 16c, The Cooler can hold 2 fermenters with enough Ice to keep them both below 16.

IMG_3064.JPG

IMG_3063.JPG

Back