New to brewing, IPA recipe???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefstarr

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a strong and high IBU brew recipe. Along the lines of the Sierra nevadas hoptimum , or hoptoligist. 100+ IBU.. A real hop head beer .. Any ideas?

Chefstarr-
Are you doing all grain or extract? I have a few all grain recipes that I've used that fit that profile. Send me a note if you want the AG versions. Otherwise, take a look in the recipe section of the website and you should find something right up your alley.

Guinnessface

Well since I got my culinary masters degree when I decided to start brewing I went all out, and got everything. So I would love a all grain recipe..

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

I've done quite a few of those, but I've never had Hoptimum so I can't compare it to any of those.

If you have another commercial IPA you like, I could probably come up with a very similar beer!

I have two favorites- an IPA with no crystal malts at all, and one with a lot of them. I can't explain why I love them both so much, as they are very different. Both I guess the best reason is that have "in your face" hops.

If you let us know about your equipment (size of your boil pot, mash tun, etc), we could probably come up with a great one for you!

Here's an IPA recipe I posted a few months back. It's not quite to the hoptimum level, but if you dry hop, it'll pack a punch. You can check out the picture in the recipe section....its a good one to try!

8# pale 2 row
4# vienna
2# victory
1# cara 40
Mash @ 157
1oz centennial FWH
1oz citra @ 20/15/5/0
12oz "Nature's Promise Wildflower Organic Honey" @ 5min
Primary 7 days
1oz citra dry hop (whole leaf)
(irish moss added @ 15 and gelatin added to keg)

This is a wonderfully citra forward IPA. The nose is very pungent with citrus and fruit and the bitterness is perfectly balanced with a bit of a honey aftertaste. At 6.8% The Honey Badger will sneak up on you after a couple. So far, this is the recipe I'm most proud of....I'll include a picture if you want. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

First off too yooper...... GO PACK GO!!

And I had a friend come by whos been brewing for years, and says the all grain brewing setup I got from a website was no good. So he talked me into sending it back and putting another 100$ or so into something that will last and do the job. So again I'm at ground Zero with no equipment.

According to their website, the grain bill is 2-row, golden promise, munich and wheat. Based on the color, I'd say it has a pretty healthy percentage of the golden promise and a lb or 2 of mujnich. OG is about 1.094. It's bittered with magnum, late additions of Simcoe and mystery new hop, torpedoed with citra and chinook, and dry hopped with more simcoe and the mystery hop. From the mystery hop description, it sounds like it's got floral and citrus notes with some grapefruit. I'd probably start with a mix of cascade and centennial to approximate it.

Latest posts

Back