New to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedicineMan

Reaction score
I want to get into all grain, I'v been brewing extract for a little over a year. I was wondering if there are any good books or web sites to read.

How to Brew is a great book, but I think I learned more on this forum than the three books I have read.

rossi46 said:
How to Brew is a great book, but I think I learned more on this forum than the three books I have read.

+1

I've read "how to brew", "the complete joy of homebrewing", and one that I can't remember the name of (I just gave it away). howtobrew.com is the online version of How To Brew. However, it is the first edition. I'd highly recommend going to a bookstore and picking up the newest edition. It's nice to have the book right with you if you have any questions during the process. I've got a lot of notes in the margins. Well worth the $15. Plus it's updated info.

But I've learned more on here than I have in any of those 3 books.

I would steer away from "the complete joy of homebrewing". I know there are a lot of "papizan-ians" on here, but I couldn't take the book seriously. All the "relax dont worry have a homebrew" drove me nuts. The pictures of the women brewing was good though. But somehow Charlie had a horrible habit of turning those pictures a little creepy with him in them.

Gordon Strong's, Brewing Better Beer (I think that's the title) is also very informative. And my brewing b-in-law just recommended the Brewer's Apprentice...

I think the biggest thing with AG is to just do it once. That means BIAB if you want to try it and don't want to grab all the equipment, or watch a buddy do it. It is WAY easier than most people think it is and just seeing it in process will open your eyes to the process. If you pay attention to a couple key things the yeast do the rest.

I jumped into AG very shortly after I started extract and people tried to discourage it saying it was harder etc. and I should get more experience. It takes more time, that is it. Nothing hard about it if you pay attention to detail!

i.e. start drinking your first beer after your drain your mash tun :D

i.e. start drinking your first beer after your drain your mash tun :D[/QUOTE]

First beer after mash, this is what I do. Also, plus one on learning more here than in the books. There are plenty of experienced brewers that are willing to help.

Ya know what, just search all grain on you tube and watch several of the vids people have made. It's really not hard. Don't worry about the deails or messing it up, if you've brewed at all, then you already know what to do.

Gordon Strong's, Brewing Better Beer (I think that's the title) is also very informative.

While I agree that it is an informative book, this is NOT a book I would recommend to anyone just starting out with all-grain. In fact the author says as much in the preface of the book. It is for people who already have fairly substantial experience with all-grain, and are looking to improve their brewing process.

Any resources on BIAB (Brew In A Bag) will be helpful. My first AG was done this way and I have done several more since. I like the BIAB method for low gravity beers that have up to 8lbs of grain. Anything over 8lbs of grain I mash in a 10gallon mash tun with a manifold bottom and fly sparge. Even when I do use the rubbermaid I line it with my large grain bag, after having a stuck sparge.

Any resources on BIAB (Brew In A Bag) will be helpful. My first AG was done this way and I have done several more since. I like the BIAB method for low gravity beers that have up to 8lbs of grain. Anything over 8lbs of grain I mash in a 10gallon mash tun with a manifold bottom and fly sparge. Even when I do use the rubbermaid I line it with my large grain bag, after having a stuck sparge.

This is a pretty good way place start:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/

Back