New stirplate Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtupper

Reaction score
So I finished my stirplate and finally got my flask and stirbar in the mail. Unfortunately when I bought my fan all they had was on with blue LEDs. My question is will these LEDs hurt anything in my yeast starters? Should i try to unhook em or let em be?

Also what speed should my unit be running? Vortex? Dimple? Stirrin motion?

Thanks in advance!

image-1104457073.jpg

I doubt LED's would be a problem, but since you don't have hops it would not be any issue at all. I go for the dimple, vortex is not needed.

Just out of curiosity what would hops matter? Are hops the reason beer oxidizes?

Hops are the reason beers skunk when exposed to light. Love the trippy blue light, it's like having a yeast lava lamp ;)

So when somerians and Egyptians used mugwort and such to bitter and flavor their beers did they not skunk? Once again just curious about the whole thing I find the history of our labors very intriguing!

I like the blue light too just wanted to make sure it wasn't harmful

As long as the blue light does not have a UV component it will not hurt the yeast. UV (in extreme amounts, ie sunlight, black light etc) acts as a sanitizer, people around my part of PA are on well water and they use UV lights as a in line sanitizer.

Personally as far as how fast to run your plate, I go for broke. My thought is you are not going to bruise the yeast and the more stirring and bubbling you get the more gas exchange you get the more yeast growth you get.

Clem

So when somerians and Egyptians used mugwort and such to bitter and flavor their beers did they not skunk?

I don't know if that stuff skunks or not. However note that they didn't have glass bottles to put the beer in, so it wouldn't get exposed to light anyway!

If it really bugs you just cut the LED power wire to the LED and the fan should still run fine. Usually they are either clear or colored (depending on brand) cables and run from the center motor out to the LED (. Just dont touch the main RED/BLACK/Yellow that actually go into the motor and the fan should work fine.

I'm pretty handy with electrical so I could
Disable them but I don't mind em I'll see if the yeast do

Or better yet put the flask in the fridge overnight before you intend to use it. All the yeast will go to the bottom. Pour off the spent wort and pitch just the yeast slurry. That way you will not have to worry about any off flavors in the starter. Remember to let it warm up out of the fridge before you pitch to avoid temperature shock.

Latest posts

Back