New State, New Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
So I recently moved from Florida to South Carolina and the water is very different here. In Florida we had hard high alkaline water which worked out for darker style beers. I never had much success at lighter styles but tended to brew darker anyway. I never made water adjustments in FL and based on the water report I recently got for my new location, I think I may have to get into this. Since I don't know much about water, I know I should, I figured I would post the report in hopes that you all might be able to tell me more than I know about it. Any hints on how to start learning about water would be great also.

Sodium - 6.04 ppm
Potassium - N/A
Calcium - 29.67 ppm
Magnesium - 1.54 ppm
Total Hardness (CaCO3) - 30 ppm
Nitrate - .12 ppm
Sulfate - 14.45 ppm
Chloride - 9.91 ppm
Carbonate - N/A
Bicarbonate - 24.25 ppm
Total Alkalinity - 25.46 ppm
Total Phosphate - .96 ppm
Total Iron - 17.42 ppm
Average PH - 8 (range 7.4-8.4)

Thanks everyone.

The problem that I have now is some of the values the water company gave me don't jive with how Bru'n Water says they should be making me doubt the report. I don't quite have a spare $42 for a water test as the wife is currently unemployed thanks to our move, so funds are tight at the moment.

Ask in the general discussion or maybe the brew science on your location. Maybe somebody else is your area will post the ward labs report.

Back