NEW Spike Brewing BIAB System announced at NHC 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stainless Basket insert that works with current Spike kettles...

eFfmdb3.jpg

I still think that hook system, refined or not, is going to wreck the kettle edge over time. That is a lot of weight that is not distributed evenly. Either way, still interested in this system. Just curious why this was the chose perch option for the basket.

I still think that hook system, refined or not, is going to wreck the kettle edge over time. That is a lot of weight that is not distributed evenly. Either way, still interested in this system. Just curious why this was the chose perch option for the basket.

Agreed. Having that basket plus the wet grain hanging on 2 hooks seems like it would be pretty rough on the kettle. I was expecting to see hooks on 3 sides with a rectangular U-bar that would rest on the rim and distribute the weight more evenly. I'll still most likely buy one, but that's something they could clean up.

Definitely a weak spot in the product imo. I think I'm going to hold off and see what SS comes up with.

Judging by what Brian said in the first-look video (Thanks for this, by the way! Very exciting), the final version of the mash insert will have a less tapered shape and will rest straighter against the kettle as it drains. Given this, plus the fact that 1.2mm SS is extremely strong, I doubt that there's any risk to the kettle edge. Personally, I'm really excited about this hook solution. I'm always looking for ways to reduce components in my brewery, so pulleys and U-rods have always seemed like a nuisance.

Judging by what Brian said in the first-look video (Thanks for this, by the way! Very exciting), the final version of the mash insert will have a less tapered shape and will rest straighter against the kettle as it drains. Given this, plus the fact that 1.2mm SS is extremely strong, I doubt that there's any risk to the kettle edge. Personally, I'm really excited about this hook solution. I'm always looking for ways to reduce components in my brewery, so pulleys and U-rods have always seemed like a nuisance.

Oh trust me, I'm still probably buying one lol. It is just a very interesting way to suspend the basket. I haven't seen a Spike product I haven't liked yet.

Oh trust me, I'm still probably buying one lol. It is just a very interesting way to suspend the basket. I haven't seen a Spike product I haven't liked yet.
I agree. I've never seen one like it before either, but I do like that it's so low profile. I also like how the larger lip at the top of the basket holds it above your diptubes/thermowell/elements/whatever without requiring feet on the bottom. Not the first system I've seen like this, but one of them.

One thing that does concerns me, though, is how high up the hooks are. Is there a chance that, with the right (wrong) amount of water in there, that the basket will remain partially submerged while it hangs? I assume they've worked it out such that that won't happen, but still...

I like the simplicity of the hooks also, and I think think the concept will work just fine.

I hope they keep enough taper in the basket so it can fit inside a BoilCoil. I'd like to get a basket for my Blichmann 15 gallon kettle with BoilCoil where the bottom of the basket fits through the boil coil closer to the kettle bottom rather than being completely above the BoilCoil. But have no idea if the geometry of the Spike basket will work out.

I like the simplicity of the hooks also, and I think think the concept will work just fine.

I hope they keep enough taper in the basket so it can fit inside a BoilCoil. I'd like to get a basket for my Blichmann 15 gallon kettle with BoilCoil where the bottom of the basket fits through the boil coil closer to the kettle bottom rather than being completely above the BoilCoil. But have no idea if the geometry of the Spike basket will work out.
I think you may be in luck, judging by this image posted on their website:
022420_1500x1575_WEB-IMAGE-2_eBIAB-Basket-Specs_Spike-BE_1024x1024.jpg

It doesn't specifically mention the BoilCoil, but given that this is marketed as an "eBIAB" system, they should be accounting for Blichmann's electric heating method.

I'm assuming that's the 20 gallon basket since they said they were releasing it first, and it looks pretty big. I'll be interested to see the dimensions of the 15 gallon version. The fact that it's tapered is promising.

I agree. I've never seen one like it before either, but I do like that it's so low profile. I also like how the larger lip at the top of the basket holds it above your diptubes/thermowell/elements/whatever without requiring feet on the bottom. Not the first system I've seen like this, but one of them.

One thing that does concerns me, though, is how high up the hooks are. Is there a chance that, with the right (wrong) amount of water in there, that the basket will remain partially submerged while it hangs? I assume they've worked it out such that that won't happen, but still...

It would have to be upwards of the 15 gallon mark before the basket would touch the wort while draining. I brewed on it this past weekend..

It would have to be upwards of the 15 gallon mark before the basket would touch the wort while draining. I brewed on it this past weekend..
Great! That's good news. I'm eager to see what that translates into for the 10gal version. Also eager to see your brew day video! Thanks for all the great content.

Thanks for the video! Was the bottom of the basket above the liquid level in the kettle after sparging?
Yes it was about 4-6 inches above. Unless you are trying to pull off a 15 gallon batch that will never be an issue.

I just got pricing on the 20 gallon system.

20g NPT Basket Only - $300 (Basket +single NPT fitting on top of basket)
20g TC Basket Only - $325 (Basket +single TC fitting on top of basket)
20g NPT Full System - $1,775 (Kettle, Basket, Controller, Pump and Hardware. Chiller optional)
20g TC Full System - $1,975 (Kettle, Basket, Controller, Pump and Hardware. Chiller optional)

20g NPT Full System - $1,775 (Kettle, Basket, Controller, Pump and Hardware. Chiller optional)
20g TC Full System - $1,975 (Kettle, Basket, Controller, Pump and Hardware. Chiller optional)

And to think, my birthday is in July so if this releases spring I am getting myself an early Bday gift. I think I'll run my outlet within the next couple weeks.

How would you compare this to the Grainfather 70L system? Price wise pretty close .

I love my Grainfather (5G), but something about a separate pump and not all one piece is a selling point. Harder to replace a pump in something like grainfather, when I can just swap a dead pump if separate. Also like that if I move over to a pilot I already have one kettle.

It seems physically over-engineered on the shiny metal and beefy port/valve front, but lacking in some areas where you'd expect that the price point might offer more. For example, it still requires a bunch of flopping-about silicone hoses, a separate pump to locate and affix somewhere, and it has a basic looking external PID display that requires tuning and has no programmable steps or WiFi support.

I can see how all of the separate components make it appeal to brewers coming from the 3V and DIY worlds, but it's not a particularly integrated or elegant design for something that's been purpose-built as a single vessel solution.

Just an honest impression... I don't mean to offend.

Interesting. I have zero interest in a 20G rig, but I have a controller, I have pumps, and I have a nice welded 10G kettle. Assuming the 15G would be cheaper, I could get that rig and use it for eBIAB or combine it with the 10G for a K-RIMS rig for high gravity beers. I'm guessing cost would be in the $600 range. Food for thought I guess.

Honestly, I'm not sure what it offers that I couldn't do with a solid sided utah biodiesel filter basket except for the basket mounted recirc return. I would want a lid with a TC port for a steam slayer anyway, so I could return flow through the lid using that port just as easily.

It seems physically over-engineered on the shiny metal and beefy port/valve front, but lacking in some areas where you'd expect that the price point might offer more. For example, it still requires a bunch of flopping-about silicone hoses, a separate pump to locate and affix somewhere, and it has a basic looking external PID display that requires tuning and has no programmable steps or WiFi support.

I can see how all of the separate components make it appeal to brewers coming from the 3V and DIY worlds, but it's not a particularly integrated or elegant design for something that's been purpose-built as a single vessel solution.

Just an honest impression... I don't mean to offend.

I think it was done that way so the basket can be also used in other kettles. I like the separation for the sake I can clean or replace a part more easily than an integrated system like Grainfather, even though I love my GF :)

Interesting. I have zero interest in a 20G rig, but I have a controller, I have pumps, and I have a nice welded 10G kettle. Assuming the 15G would be cheaper, I could get that rig and use it for eBIAB or combine it with the 10G for a K-RIMS rig for high gravity beers. I'm guessing cost would be in the $600 range. Food for thought I guess.

Honestly, I'm not sure what it offers that I couldn't do with a solid sided utah biodiesel filter basket except for the basket mounted recirc return. I would want a lid with a TC port for a steam slayer anyway, so I could return flow through the lid using that port just as easily.

The 20G is for 5 or 10G batches. I like that I can whirlpool on this one. In reality, I'll still brew between this and the GF.

Could be, but I'm hanging onto my GF for the 5's. I have wanted to move up to 10's for a while and this system has really peaked my interest.

Yeah, I have zero interest in 10g batches. I struggle to get through 5g batches in a timely fashion. A 5 gallon keg usually lasts me 4-6 weeks.

I really like spike stuff as well . I have their conical and plan to get another but when I think BIAB I think cheap , easy and simple set up for brewing. That's why most get into BIAB all grain. I love my Grainfather, however if I jump up to 10 gallon batches I wouldn't spend the money on their Gf70. I dont think I would purchase this either tbo.

Definitely a weak spot in the product imo. I think I'm going to hold off and see what SS comes up with.

I would say I'm in the same boat as you, but given how late SS is with their release (originally planned for Spring 2019) and how little they've shared regarding the design and schedule changes, I'm not holding much hope that they've have their product out before 2021. Who knows though - maybe seeing Spike beat them to market will light a fire under them.

Latest posts

Back