New Spigot in Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeg77

Reaction score
I just installed a new Italian bottling Spigot in my primary fermentaion bucket. It holds liquid no problem but now that fermentation is going on I guess the pressure is forcing some liquid through(very small amount, not gushing or anything) the seal.
A.) should I be worried about this?
B.) Any tips to prevent this in the future?

Thanks.

A tip to avoid it in the future would be to not use the bottling bucket, but if you must, I would try to secure it tighter next time. Get something that lets you get a good grip on both ends, and twist that sucker on hard. A word of warning when doing this (I have done it), is to only twist a little bit at a time, and then check to make sure the rubber washer hasn't been squished out the sides. If you see it starting to be pushed out the sides, take a flat object of some sort and push it back in (you might be able to with your fingernail). Then just twist a bit more and check again.

I wouldn't be worried, depending on exactly how much has come out. I had a batch that I fermented in a bottling bucket end up with just a little bit of sticky wort on the outside around the rim. I didn't even notice it for a while. It turned out fine.

Thanks. The squishing of the rubber washer is exactly what happened. I'll have to make sure I push it in flat next time. It is a very small amount that has escaped so hopefully it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back