New Sierra Nevada Seasonal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I haven't tried this one yet, but hope to soon! Below is the press release:

--FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Chico, CA (11/19/09)—Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is proud to announce the release of Glissade Golden Bock as its newest seasonal beer. Glissade celebrates the slow slide of winter into spring with a full-bodied beer that is delicately balanced, yet bold enough to brace against the last cold nights in the foothills of the Sierras. Glissade will be available in 6-packs, 12-packs, 24-ounce bottles, and on draft starting in January, 2010.

“We have been making versions of bock beers for our local fans for years, and with every release we get people clamoring for us to make it more widely available. Spring for us is the season for bocks, so we finally decided to do it,” said brewery founder Ken Grossman. “Glissade is something new for us—and something different from the other bock beers out there. We’re using the best German malts we can find, together with interesting and flavorful European hops.”

This zealous consumer demand inspired the brewery to make a change to its seasonal lineup. Glissade will be replacing the brewery’s ESB (Early Spring Beer) and will add an interesting new dimension to the popular seasonal offerings.

Glissade Golden Bock is the brewery’s take on the traditional pale bocks of Germany. The beer is remarkably mellow, with layers of subtle malt flavors and a more restrained sweetness than many of its continental cousins. Glissade emphasizes layers of malt, with flavors reminiscent of freshly-baked bread and toasted nuts held in perfect balance by a touch of spicy and floral European hops. This delicate balance helps the beer slide across the palate and welcomes another sip.

2010 marks the 30th anniversary for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. Glissade is the first step into this auspicious year, which promises to be filled with events, celebrations, and specialty beer releases.

Founded in 1980, Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. is one of America’s first microbreweries and remains highly regarded for using only whole-cone hops and ingredients of the highest quality. Sierra Nevada has set the standard for artisan brewers worldwide as a winner of numerous awards for its line of beers and ales—including the flagship Pale Ale, Torpedo, Porter, Stout, Kellerweis, four seasonal beers, Estate Ale, Harvest Ale series, and a host of draft-only specialties.

For more information, please visit: http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/glissade.html ###

Happy to see a new one from SN, though I am definitely disappointed about losing the ESB, which, along w/ the celebration ale, has been my favorite in their lineup.

"Too bad to see ESB go away, I say dump Kellerweis and make ESB year round."

Dump the Kellerweisse??? N-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!! I drink this year round!!!

"Too bad to see ESB go away, I say dump Kellerweis and make ESB year round."

Dump the Kellerweisse??? N-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!!!!!! I drink this year round!!!

Yeah just not my thang. Banana & Clove doesn't do it for me.:( But it seems to be loved by many so I'm sure it will be around for a while. Now if they would Bottle & Distribute their Brown Ale that would make me extremely happy. Luckily I'm in Chico on a regular basis so I can always stop in and have a pint or two.:mug:

Yes, their brown ale is a favorite when I stop into the pub. If you want more for the road, be sure to ask for a growler...they just started doing those finally!

On topic, I just grabbed a sixer of the Glissade yesterday and had a couple last night. I have to say it's a damn good beer, and I like it even more than their Pale Bock (which it replaces). It's a bit lighter on the alcohol (both aroma and flavor), but at 6.4% it's no lightweight. The flavor of the hops, malt, and yeast is much more harmonious than the Pale Bock I think and produces an overall better beer. I'll definitely be back to the store for another sixer or three!

I rather enjoyed this beer myself. I had one at the brewery last weekend and liked it enough I had my father in-law pick me up a case (employee discount). I am a little upset to see the ESB go as well, that was one of my favorites.

Kellerweis isn't going anywhere, they made equipment specific to that brew.

Is the golden bock a maibock by style? Are they fermenting it with ale yeast (that's the rumor, right?)

Just finished a Glissade...
Given the tagline (golden bock) I thought it was going to be more of a weizenbock which I don't think it is.

It is... delicious.

Is the golden bock a maibock by style? Are they fermenting it with ale yeast (that's the rumor, right?)

Maibock sounds about right.
According to their sight they actually use lager yeast.

I downed a sixer of this the other night without flinching. It's just so smooth and easy to drink. I was bummed when I realized it was gone, and a bit buzzed also. :drunk:
I'll definitely buy more.

I downed a sixer of this the other night without flinching. It's just so smooth and easy to drink. I was bummed when I realized it was gone, and a bit buzzed also. :drunk:
I'll definitely buy more.

I know what you mean, i just finished off four of them that a friend left at the house last night. This was damn fine beer, I may have to pick up a case the next time I am in the bottle shop.

I picked up a case of Glissade last week. It is very good, so much that i'm picking up another case this weekend.

Finally got around to picking up a bomber of this the other day. Very tasty, the first sip reminded me of Gordon Biersch Czech Pilsner. I'm likin' it.

Bigfoot is out now too.:mug:

well, I guess I think of it as a different kind of malty. somewhere just under the range of an oktoberfest. theres very little hop flavor, the bitterness is not that apparent, but I do think its crisp enough on the finish to satisfy most drinkers.

Ever drink summit maibock or gordon biersch blond bock? this beer seems to be in line with the hellesbock style.

am I really the only one that didn't think this was that great? don't get me wrong, it was very well made, but the overall experience wasn't what I've come to expect from SN. it might be my least favorite by them.

am I really the only one that didn't think this was that great? don't get me wrong, it was very well made, but the overall experience wasn't what I've come to expect from SN. it might be my least favorite by them.

What didn't you like about it? What flavors were not there that you expected, or which ones were not pleasant. And aroma too for that matter.

well its been awhile since i've had a bock and I'm more used to the doppelbocks, so I guess I was expecting it to be like that but a little lighter and with their usual hop presence. it reminded me too much of a pilsner

edit: ok after having some more today, I semi-retract my statement. It's certainly better than a pilsner, but has the same crispness of one. It's good, but I guess I was just expecting something a little different.

picked up a sixer yesterday and had one last night, very good beer. definitely deceptive with the alc content. i was instantly in beersmith trying to concoct a recipe. sounds like a fairly straightforward style to make... looking forward to brewing one up!

ug, only can find it in cases around here...

not that it's a bad thing, but I'd like to try it before I invest.

maibock is one of my favorite styles. I have one lagering right now, but I'm not terribly excited for it :/

picked up a sixer yesterday and had one last night, very good beer. definitely deceptive with the alc content. i was instantly in beersmith trying to concoct a recipe. sounds like a fairly straightforward style to make... looking forward to brewing one up!
android - if you come up with a good recipe please share! I put one together, but I am too new at forming my own recipes to know if it is anywhere close.

I would be interested to see what you come up with as I was doing the same thing. I really liked this beer.

Here is what I was thinking. I am not all that good at making recipes, but I tried this based on some things I read and what the lhbs had available. It is for a partial mash.
5 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 48.54 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 32.04 %
12.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 7.28 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.85 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.85 %
4.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.43 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 oz Pearle [6.50 %] (60 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.70 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Saflager W-34/70 (Fermentis) Yeast-Lager

Malc, your recipe is quite different from the one I put together... but I am really new at recipe making :)

Mine goes:
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
54% 6 8 German Two-row Pils 36 2
21% 2 8 Belgian Pils 37 2
17% 2 0 Munich Malt 37 9
4% 0 8 American Crystal 15L 34 15
4% 0 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1
12 0

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity 1.065 (1.058 to 1.067)
Final Gravity 1.015 (1.013 to 1.016)

Color: 7° SRM / 13° EBC (Gold to Copper)
Estimated Mash Efficiency: 75%

Hops
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.5 Magnum pellet 14.0
boil 60 mins 1.0 Perle pellet 8.0
boil 15 mins 1.25 Tettnanger pellet 4.5
aroma 5 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer pellet 8.5

Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness:
15.0 HBU
40.4 IBU

Yeast: German Lager

Alcohol
6.7% A.B.V.
5.2% A.B.W.

Misc
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 5 min 0.5 ounces Irish Moss

looks good. I really have no idea how this will turn out. We'll see in a couple months I guess. Here are the projections from Beersmith
Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG (I measured a little higher than this)
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.29 %
Bitterness: 18.0 IBU Calories: 378 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM

I wonder if I can convince SWMBO to let me get enough of this and Sumemrfest to last me through the summer?
In Pa we have to buy by the case unless it is purchased at a bar. I am a pretty big fan of SN and bought a case never having tasted it. Am I glad I did. It runs just a bit over into hoppiness from being balanced and finishes very smooth. Too smooth. I will be replacing this case soon.

Back