New Recipe for American Amber/ Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobb25

Reaction score
I few months ago I had a really pleasant micro brew at a local bar where the servers knew very little about its name. It was a brownish amber ale, very malty, and a little sweet, without much hops bite. After my first three all grain brews of this year, I seem to be collecting partial bags ( 8 oz. ) of a number of malts, ( Caramunich, Caravienna, chocolate, etc.) I am thinking about doing an inventory of these, and placing them into the beer smith software, along with about 7.5 to 8 lbs of two row. What are your thoughts about this idea for my first original recipe. I could call it "Empty the cupboard ale". Also what are your thoughts on a good yeast to use? This time of year shipping a liquid yeast is iffy, so I would lean toward dry yeasts ? This will be a 5.5 gal. batch.
I thank you for your combined wisdom.
Bob

If your thinking of a British brown. 8lbs 2 row 8ozs caramunich 8ozs victory 8ozs chocolate East Kent golding hops and I like Wlp 007.

If your thinking of a British brown. 8lbs 2 row 8ozs caramunich 8ozs victory 8ozs chocolate East Kent golding hops and I like Wlp 007.

Looks good to me to match what you have on hand. I've become a fan of WY1028 for porters and browns, which is supposedly the same as the windsor dry strain, but I've tried windsor exactly once and hated it. For dry I'd probably go with Notty as I'm not a fan of S-04 either. It's a little on the clean side but always makes a nice beer for me.

Back