new propane burner recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappler

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new burner. I've recently started brewing all-grain, and my $30 Bass Pro Shops burner is just too slow for heating up those quantities of water. It has served me well for extract brews, but I felt like I spent an awfully long time waiting around for the all-grain brew.

One of my criteria for the new burner is that it needs to be quieter. I love sitting outside and listen to music while I brew, but it is very hard to hear the music with a propane burner running on full blast. Some of my research indicates that the banjo burners are fairly quiet. Would love to hear thoughts from others on this.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I just got the Bayou Classic SQ14 off amazon for $49. It ships for free with a Prime membership (which you can get a 30 day free trial of). I found a lot of people were happy with it on these forums. Things I like about it and have been my experience: the frame is pretty sturdy and being square it holds large pots well. The regulator dial is pretty responsive which helps control boil overs. Mine is very quite, had it out at the Big Brew last week and it was significantly quieter than the burners around me. I haven't timed it yet getting 3.5g of strike or sparge water to 150-170 is very fast getting 6g of wort was infinitely faster than my stovetop is all I really know.

only negative so far was there was a lot of paint burnoff the first time I used it. Apparently this is quite common I just didn't know and I would've run it for about 20 minutes before I was brewing if I had.

I am in the market for a new burner. I've recently started brewing all-grain, and my $30 Bass Pro Shops burner is just too slow for heating up those quantities of water.

Sorry if I am getting off topic a bit, but I am building a keggle in a week or two and am looking for a burner. This one caught my eye...is this the same $30 Bass Pro burner that you are using and are trying to replace?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Propane-Cooker-with-Aluminum-Pot/product/10205245/
1631022_10205245-t

I also recommend the blichmann if you can afford it, you want regret it.

Another vote for the SQ14 Bayou Classic. Mine will easily boil 14 gallons for my full boil 11 gallon batches and I can do at least 4, 11 gallon batches on one 20 lb cylinder and that includes heating mash/sparge water on the same burner!

Sorry if I am getting off topic a bit, but I am building a keggle in a week or two and am looking for a burner. This one caught my eye...is this the same $30 Bass Pro burner that you are using and are trying to replace?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Propane-Cooker-with-Aluminum-Pot/product/10205245/
1631022_10205245-t

Yes, that is the one. I have been very happy with it so far. Really can't beat the price..;) Heating up a few gallons of water is no issue at all. Heating 6g of water took a long time....

-Matt

I've bought two Bayou KAB4's. First one I had to modify for wind, I think they assembled that part upside down, as the second one was perfect in that regard. There are times they can be a bit on what some might call the loud side, but listening to music and stuff, it's not like I can't hear anything. I can be standing beside both of them running, and I can still hear my Beersmith timer on my kindle go off 20 feet away inside the garage.
Yes, the paint burning off was a "WTH?" moment for me, but they are fine now.
They boil quickly, adjust very easily, and I have had zero issues with either one.

Yes, that is the one. I have been very happy with it so far. Really can't beat the price..;) Heating up a few gallons of water is no issue at all. Heating 6g of water took a long time....

-Matt

Ok glad I asked. I will be doing 5 and 10 gallon batches, so maybe I will reconsider and find something else. Let us know what you decide to go with.

The SQ 14 and the burner in your Bass Shops Propane cooker are both rated at 55K BTU. What is the PSI of your adjustable regulator? Thermally speaking, how are others getting fast boil times, and you aren't?

Back