NEW Product Launch - Spike Brew Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Roll out the red carpet for the OFFICIAL second new product Spike is launching this year.

The Spike Brew Pump, available in NPT and TC fittings, is the newest and most badass brew pump ever to hit homebrewing.

With features like an Air Release Valve (ARV), best in class flow rate and PSI as well as an integrated impeller shaft thrust bearing (raise your hand if you’ve lost a loose thrust washer down the drain); this pump is a beast!

Click the link below to sign up for the preorder list:
https://spikebrewing.com/products/spike-brew-pump

Launching this Fall; stay tuned!

1 TC-&-NPT_032022_Brew-Pump_April-Social_SE.jpg
2_TC_032022_Brew-Pump_April-Social_SE.jpg
3_NPT_032022_Brew-Pump_April-Social_SE.jpg

Interesting! Love it. One could connect the pump TC suction directly to the Spike+ drain port, thus eliminating a suction isolation butterfly valve and hose (assuming the need to pump from just a single vessel, as in a BIAB setup). Maybe adequate supporting would need to be rigged up, IDK. And the ultra quiet TEFC motor oh yea excellent!!

If/when my old Chugger pump with 1/2" npt connections dies, I'm getting a Spike TC pump. Count me in!

Nice looking pump, with higher flow rate than the Riptide. Wonder if that is enough flow to make the CIP ball really effective (I have heard the Riptide is marginal at best).

It doesn't have the Riptide's linear flow control valve. What have peoples' experiences been controlling flow with just a butterfly valve?

I control my flow rate with a ball valve on the output of the pump. No issues, takes a time or 2 then you get an idea of what position to set the valve in to achieve the flow rate you want. I assume a butterfly valve would be similar.

These pumps look awesome, I'll be saving up for one for sure. I've been wanting to purchase one to have as a backup but I think I'll get these and have my current pumps for a backup.

I like the spigot for the bleed valve, my Riptide makes such a mess.
But the integral flow valve on the Riptide is really nice.

I move my pump from place as needed, so it is important to me that the valve can be operated with one hand without the pump moving around. Will that be possible using a butterfly valve, or will the pump rotate as the handle is turned?

I suppose it could be mounted on a board that could be stepped on to hold it in place while the valve is closed. Maybe a ball valve makes more sense, since they take so little effort to open/close. Or just buy one of the the TC Blichmann valves which operate easily.
Tri-Clamp G2 Linear Flow Valve (blichmannengineering.com)

edited for clarity

Last edited:

I move my pump from place as needed, so it is important to me that the valve can be operated with one hand without the pump moving around. Will that be possible using a butterfly valve, or will the pump rotate as the handle is turned?

I suppose it could be mounted on a board that could be stepped on to hold it in place while the valve is closed. Maybe a ball valve makes more sense, since they take so little effort to open/close. Or just buy one of the the TC Blichmann valves which operate easily.

edited for clarity

Do you have a ball valve on the inlet of your kettle? That's going to be the easiest way to control. You can also easily see the affect of the adjustment rather than bending down to adjust on the pump, then look into your kettle, then bend down again to adjust, etc.

Yes, I have an outlet valve on the kettle. But I also use the pump on my sparge arm and whirlpool arm, and those don't have valves.

Bending over isn't an issue in my application, the pump can be located high enough that I can see into the vessel while adjusting the pump valve.

Any input/comment on using the inlet tri-clamp of the new pump to hang it it directly off a Spike kettle (similar to the Unibrau BIAB setup)?

That is not true!
March Manufacturing pumps are US made!

Unfortunately they are not either. March is a great company and actually helped a bit in the design of our pump. I believe when I spoke to Otto last they were getting motors from Mexico but potentially moving to China. I believe they make the magnets in house. However, the majority is sourced overseas. They do the final assembly and testing in house for what it's worth.

edited for clarity
I am not a fan of the Riptide's "linear flow valve", and have found it to be enormously temperamental when fly sparging. I've read of many people who chose to replace this for a ball valve, which they find controls the flow much better. I will be trying this soon.

I am not a fan of the Riptide's "linear flow valve", and have found it to be enormously temperamental when fly sparging. I've read of many people who chose to replace this for a ball valve, which they find controls the flow much better. I will be trying this soon.

We've read that a lot as well. Ball valves have been used very successfully for a longgg time. If it ain't broke...

I'm using a false bottom in my MLT, maybe other systems don't work as well with the linear valve.

The issue with ball valves is the cavity around the ball. Encapsulated ball valves don’t seem to be readily available in small TC sizes. Two of the big Homebrewing equipment suppliers have come up with proprietary options with drawbacks, maybe there’s one out there who can finally get it right. ;)

I've only just brewed my first beer with a pump and I'm already ready for this upgrade, haha. Made the mistake of using homegrown leaf hops without a filter and... soon discovered how long it takes to unscrew the casing, twice.

My question/suggestion: Flexible mounting options and published mounting dimensions would be huge.

I have a stainless steel table - and finding a way to mount the pump was an ordeal. Especially when I had to rip it apart to take the casing off. Ideally I wanted it mounted on the legs. I couldn't find any kind of U-Bolt or easy way to achieve this. Ended up using two pipe clamps around the leg+pump; very functional until something went wrong. I can't tell for sure how the Trio manages this, but my guess is a custom mounting bracket welded to the leg. A weldless alternative would be great!

The pump head looks like it’s going to fit a RipTide like a glove. I like the look of the TC version.

I've only just brewed my first beer with a pump and I'm already ready for this upgrade, haha. Made the mistake of using homegrown leaf hops without a filter and... soon discovered how long it takes to unscrew the casing, twice.

My question/suggestion: Flexible mounting options and published mounting dimensions would be huge.

We will be listing the mounting dimensions before launch. It's the same as the March pump however as many people have a pump that uses that same mounting pattern.

The pump head looks like it’s going to fit a RipTide like a glove. I like the look of the TC version.

Unfortunately since all the components are different it won't fit a Riptide.

What is the weight of the TC pump? Can a longer power cord be an option, say 8 or 10 ft? Just curious. Can't wait to turn it on!!!

We will be listing the mounting dimensions before launch. It's the same as the March pump however as many people have a pump that uses that same mounting pattern.......

Is that mounting pattern also the same as the Chugger pumps? If so, that would be awesome. I have the Blichmann Top Tier and I'd have to buy (or make) a whole new mounting plate just to run their Riptide. It would be nice to know the Spike pump could be a direct bolt on!

Different size TC fitting?

I believe they are both 3" TCs but nothing would align. The magents, impeller, etc are all different.

What is the weight of the TC pump? Can a longer power cord be an option, say 8 or 10 ft? Just curious. Can't wait to turn it on!!!

It's roughly 5lbs. We don't customize the power cord length but short power cords are super cheap on places like Amazon.

Is that mounting pattern also the same as the Chugger pumps? If so, that would be awesome. I have the Blichmann Top Tier and I'd have to buy (or make) a whole new mounting plate just to run their Riptide. It would be nice to know the Spike pump could be a direct bolt on!

March set the pattern about 40 years ago. Chugger copied March. Blichmann adopted the same bolt pattern and so are we for this very reason. It'll bolt right up!

..........Blichmann adopted the same bolt pattern and so are we for this very reason. It'll bolt right up!

Same bolt pattern for their Riptide or their Top Tier March/Chugger mount (what I currently have)?

When the Riptide came out, I was almost ready to splurge on one but Blichmann told me I would have to get a different mount for the Riptide as the Top Tier mount I have for my Chugger pump wouldn't be compatible. I'm guessing the Riptide has a different bolt hole pattern vs the March/Chugger.

On another note.....what is the weight difference between the March/Chugger and the Spike?

@SpikeBrewing Please consider adding a FAQ page/link on your website page for the Spike Brew Pump. Looks like there have been lots of good questions and answers thus far, and maybe more yet to come. Like HP rating, for example. That way, the Q's and A's are all in one convenient place.

Same bolt pattern for their Riptide or their Top Tier March/Chugger mount (what I currently have)?

When the Riptide came out, I was almost ready to splurge on one but Blichmann told me I would have to get a different mount for the Riptide as the Top Tier mount I have for my Chugger pump wouldn't be compatible. I'm guessing the Riptide has a different bolt hole pattern vs the March/Chugger.

On another note.....what is the weight difference between the March/Chugger and the Spike?

I believe they are all the same mounting pattern but we'll confirm that closer to launch. I don't have exact weights however the Spike Pump is heavier due to a heavier motor and front housing assembly.

@SpikeBrewing Please consider adding a FAQ page/link on your website page for the Spike Brew Pump. Looks like there have been lots of good questions and answers thus far, and maybe more yet to come. Like HP rating, for example. That way, the Q's and A's are all in one convenient place.

We will certainly be doing that. We are still 6mo away from launch so plenty of time to get all those specs listed!

Back