New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first attempt was a bit shy on the corn character, but the bigger problem was I had to sub all three hop strains most frequently associated with the original recipe 🤷‍♂️ I used Chinook, Galena and US Goldings in that first batch, which made for a tasty IPA with some correlation to my memory/imagination, but well away from where I think it needs to be.

For the second batch I bumped the corn up from 20% to 30%, and used the Cluster, Brewer's Gold and East Kent Goldings I wanted (as I found the most references to those three in my searching). The kegs should be ready to tap any day now - there's still a couple of pours left of the first batch but that keg will likely kick tonight. So, probably Wednesday I'll swap kegs, tap the second batch and see what's up.

Second recipe shown below. I picked up a few extra gravity points along the way :)

Cheers!

ballantine_rev2_1.jpg

ballantine_rev2_2.jpg

My first attempt was a bit shy on the corn character, but the bigger problem was I had to sub all three hop strains most frequently associated with the original recipe 🤷‍♂️ I used Chinook, Galena and US Goldings in that first batch, which made for a tasty IPA with some correlation to my memory/imagination, but well away from where I think it needs to be.

For the second batch I bumped the corn up from 20% to 30%, and used the Cluster, Brewer's Gold and East Kent Goldings I wanted (as I found the most references to those three in my searching). The kegs should be ready to tap any day now - there's still a couple of pours left of the first batch but that keg will likely kick tonight. So, probably Wednesday I'll swap kegs, tap the second batch and see what's up.

Second recipe shown below. I picked up a few extra gravity points along the way :)

Cheers!

View attachment 834995

View attachment 834996
Thank you sir! Looks great. I'll give this one a try once I hunt down some Brewer's Gold.

My red plum ale. Which I made with my own roasted malt.
I fermented it by adding 5 liters of plum compost water to a 20-liter mash. It contains Cascade hops, which I grew myself, and Brewer's Gold hops.
It has a very pleasant aroma. I will make this with every plum harvest from now on.
Cheers!
IMG_20231130_212508.jpg

%6.47 ABV - Wheat Ale with Pomegranate

I can confidently say that this is the most delicious beer I've made in a long time. My preconceptions about brewing a fruity beer have been completely shattered. 🤭For this beer, I used 6 kg of homemade wheat malt and 3.5 liters of pasteurized pomegranate juice. I boiled Brewer's Gold hops and a generous amount of Cascade flower hops for bitterness and aroma. I added the pomegranate juice to the wort in the fermenter, elevating both the gravity and aiming for a hybrid flavor profile. The result was a pleasant start and finish on the palate.The carbonation is excellent, providing a lively sensation on the tongue. The foam retention is high. It has a pronounced fruity character with a subtle bitterness from the pomegranate and wheat, creating a well-balanced blend. The aroma is reminiscent of pediatric syrups, naturally derived from the red fruit content. 😀 This beer is a must-brew every pomegranate season. It has earned its place in my recipe collection. 🍻
IMG_20231212_130031.jpg

Bullwinkle Brown, a Moose Drool clone.
Moose Drool is still their best beer and since it was probably one of the first semi local beer for ND it has a place for me. will have to look into brewing next. The vague memories of 5$ pictures at local Vets Club will be tough to beat years ago.

So quiet in here, I'm gonna post tonight's short pour of my imperial chocolate stout just to break the silence.
No big whoop...

View attachment 837148

Cheers!
I'm trying to dabble in a light stout. I wouldn't mind a chocolate stout. Working on getting beer gas to have to prepped in garage. Any good balanced stout recipe. Stout rookie drinker here. Ones actually have a chocolate aroma and taste?

That one is pretty much the opposite of "light", given a 1.107 OG 😁
but you caught my attention i read a post you said non beer drinkers love it.. u always have it on tap. maybe you can help me with the recipe or A similar if its your secret. but maybe along line of 8% tops.. nothing CRAZY ;) ill beg if I have too. it may be my only attempt as I am trying to get into stout myself as well.

lol! It's all true - who doesn't like chocolate? Especially with the nitro pour it does attract attention and when folks taste it it's game ovah ;)
Anyway, I've posted the recipe a few times but can never seem to find it when asked again, so here's another posting.

I brew ten gallons to the kegs but this is a five gallon version.

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley (got to have some roast!)
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

2 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
2 oz Cascade pellets, 15-20 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil
Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a pair of scraped, chopped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the mid-upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible! If so only carbonate to ~1.2 volumes to avoid a foamy chocolate mess.

Cheers!

lol! It's all true - who doesn't like chocolate? Especially with the nitro pour it does attract attention and when folks taste it it's game ovah ;)
Anyway, I've posted the recipe a few times but can never seem to find it when asked again, so here's another posting.

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/2 lb caramalt

Fermentis S04, 2 packs
1/2 lb cacao nibs and a pair of scraped, chopped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary

Serve on nitro if possible! If so only carbonate to ~1.2 volumes to avoid a foamy chocolate mess.

Cheers!
why is my mouth watering and Im not even into stouts, YET dam alot goes into it. powder 2 lb honey.. and you said 1.107? and ends in upper 20s... crap thats like 12% lol that might scortch me.. lol breathe fire!\

i shoot for 6.5g in unitank. so ill have beersmith do that. how do i put the extract at kegging if my kegs are purged with co2. jump in unitank right before kegging it?

not to bad 1.104 gravity 10ish%. without the cocoa powder in beer smith because i dont see it listed..

It sounds like a new cavity coming soon sounds hecka sweet. I might be interested in deleting the powder and flame out and extract at kegging ? Is this a one pint and done because of the chocolatey sweetness or is it not that bad

Last edited:
Is this a one pint and done because of the chocolatey sweetness or is it not that bad

It's definitely a sipper, not a quaffer, but it's not as sweet as one might expect.
I have a 6 ounce pour nitely about a half hour before I hit the rack - and sleep like the dead :)

Cheers!

It's definitely a sipper, not a quaffer, but it's not as sweet as one might expect.
I have a 6 ounce pour nitely about a half hour before I hit the rack - and sleep like the dead :)

Cheers!
Ok. Sounds delicious. Definitely gonna try it. Out of curiosity. Have you cut out the powder and extract for experimentation. Lol. Wondering if that will get a more drinkable. Like 2 pints. Or keep this. Call it dessert and try to find another. My co worker just said a couple hours ago. "Ok now your dabbling in the category that has been perfected and everything close falls short"
He's talking about Guinness. Big time Guinness drinker of on draft and poured correctly. Told me to stay in my lane. Guinness is perfected and will not be made lolol

Heresy no doubt, but I've never considered Guinness to be a stout, because I've had stouts, and they make Guinness seem like a modest black lager, or at most a mild porter :)

Mine has always had the "triple chocolate" ingredients as that's what I based the whole concept upon...

Cheers!

Heresy no doubt, but I've never considered Guinness to be a stout, because I've had stouts, and they make Guinness seem like a modest black lager, or at most a mild porter :)

Mine has always had the "triple chocolate" ingredients as that's what I based the whole concept upon...

Cheers!
Haha

Cheers!
Powder isn't added because not sure if anything it changes on this. Plus beersmith doesn't have it on list but I scaled it for my 7.25g post boil and 6-6.5g in unitank. Look good? Except it suggests 3 packages of yeast. At this amount and 1.104 SG I'm excited. Gonna start ordering ingredients from Amazon. And now forcing me to build my nitro kegerator in next 2-3 weeks

And can't forget to adjust the cocoa powder and nibs to like 12oz to scale appropriately. And maybe 3 vanilla beans

Screenshot_20231223-084628.png

Last edited:

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/2 lb caramalt

Fermentis S04, 2 packs

Cheers!
Is black barley malt (roasted) as well that's all I see in morebeer. Also cara malt? I don't see it on Morebeer unless they call it something else.

Black Barley /= Roasted Barley. They're distinctly different, and imo one needs both to make a legit stout.
I've used black patent which is simply black barley that did not have the same roasted flavor.
"Caramalt" is equivalent to Crystal/Caramel 20. I think it's just someone's trademarked name.

Cheers!

Black Barley /= Roasted Barley. They're distinctly different, and imo one needs both to make a legit stout.
I've used black patent which is simply black barley that did not have the same roasted flavor.
"Caramalt" is equivalent to Crystal/Caramel 20. I think it's just someone's trademarked name.

Cheers!
I found a lb Simpsons black malt at a different site so I have it all on stand by. Even bought 3 packages of s04 just in case. Or stash it.

Now to Amazon to to get 12oz nibs,12oz cocoa powder, 1oz chocolate extract

Meanwhile my pint:

Blonde ale HB.
PXL_20231223_221540181.jpg

Here's a lager I did a couple of months ago during the summer. A simple Saaz-y lager with Weyermann Eraclea pilsner malt and some corn sugar to keep it light bodied. It was very refreshing.

summer-refresh.jpg

And here's an ale I was drinking in Spring before I started on the lagers. This one's Eraclea malt again with a touch of Munich-1 to add some nuttiness to the mix. Hops are a pleasant blend of various NZ varieties.

outback2.jpg

Apologies for the Carlsberg glass - it's the only nucleated one that I have and I find that being nucleated really helps with the mouthfeel of a light, extra-pale ale or lager. It's sort of "fluffy" if you get my meaning.

Back