New Porter Recipe Brewing Saturday 8/31

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryancorbett2

Reaction score
So, after my over-carbonation debacle with my last porter (which was a brown porter), I am going to go for more of a Robust Porter for this one. I will be brewing this recipe this Saturday.

Here is the brewsheet:
Size 5.0 Gallons 1.060 OG 1.016 FG 31 IBU 5.8% ABV 36 SRM

Maris Otter -- 12.0 lbs -- 88%
Caramel Malt 60L -- 8 oz -- 3.7%
Briess Chocolate Malt 350L -- 8 oz -- 3.7%
Black Malt -- 4 oz -- 2%
Debittered Black Malt -- 4 oz -- 2%

Hops:
60 minute .75 oz Northdown
30 minute .75 Fuggle

Yeast: British Ale 1098

Probably will mash at 155 for 60 minutes
sparge at 168 for 10-15 minutes.

What do you all think?

Thanks for the feedback!

I would use roasted barley instead of the black malt, although I've seen plenty of recipes that don't. And I would double the amount of C60L. But those are largely personal taste. Looks fine to me. Post how it turns out.

I would up the crystal as well, and add some roasted barley. Here is my Robust porter recipe -
11# Maris Otter
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Brown Malt
1# Crystal 40
1# Organic Munich
1# Flaked Barley
8 oz. Black Patent
8 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Crystal 120
8 oz. cara-Pils

I mash at 150-152 for a dryer finish (not a fan of sweet beers).

I would up the crystal as well, and add some roasted barley. Here is my Robust porter recipe -
11# Maris Otter
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Brown Malt
1# Crystal 40
1# Organic Munich
1# Flaked Barley
8 oz. Black Patent
8 oz. Roasted Barley
8 oz. Crystal 120
8 oz. cara-Pils

I mash at 150-152 for a dryer finish (not a fan of sweet beers).

Thanks for the tips. I have never used munich nor C 120 before.

How would you describe the aromas and flavors that you get from the recipe?

So I tweaked the recipe, I increased the C 60 to 1 lb and changed from the british ale yeast to the Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I realized I was using the british ale one but that doesn't make since if I am going more for the americanized version of the robust porter.

So I tweaked the recipe, I increased the C 60 to 1 lb and changed from the british ale yeast to the Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I realized I was using the british ale one but that doesn't make since if I am going more for the americanized version of the robust porter.

Then why uses a British style malt like MO?

Thanks PeterJ, I got a little self-conscious when I read C-rider's post the morning of my brewday. But I did want the nutty bready flavors from MO in this recipe. My oatmeal stout is pretty similar to this as well except I use 2-Row for the base malt and oats as well (and a different hop schedule).

Hope it turns out well!

Back