New or Used Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
I can buy used kegs for $35, but a new keg is $156. That seems to be a big difference. Obviously, I am leaning towards the used keg. The used kegs are all double pressure tested, cleaned, etc.

What are the real differences/gotchas between new and used kegs?

Used ones aren't as shiney, will probably have mfg stickers all over them, and may have worn rubber seals on them. Depending on where you get em, they may still have soda in them too. The rubber seal kits are like $2.50 each, definitely worth getting used ones.

AND if you shop around, you can get used ones for $20.

Trust me, I'm the least mechanically talented person in the world, and I use the pre-owned kegs. There is almost no problem using any and all of them.

The kegs are stainless and can be cleaned relatively easy. Even if they still have Soda in them. I found some lying arouind the woods where I used to live. Someone just dumped them there. Picked a few up. All had Soda or soda residue in them. Took the best one's home, cleaned them out, got new gaskets and they are as good as new.

Not shinny but they work well.

I don't know anyone, either in person or on HBT, who has actually bought a new corny.

And if you're interested, there is a thread about polishing keggles and cornies. You can't get rid of the dents, but it's easy to make them all shiny.

About the only time people buy new kegs is when they want a 2.5-3 gallon keg. There are very few used ones out there. Otherwise, used kegs are the only way to go.

Some of the used kegs are REALLY old, like, decades. That means they've got some dings - but it also shows how durable they are. As long as they hold pressure, they're basically good forever.

I've seen the 4 small o-ring kits for that cheap, but never the lid o-ring included. its usually $4 or more on its own.

unless you win the lotto, buy used/refurb'd kegs. plenty of re-build parts out there for them.

I bought a 10 pack of the lid o-rings from McMaster-Carr for 12.50, or basically $1.25 a piece. The other o-rings are about $0.02 a piece if you buy them in bulk (100 ct.).

Used kegs are the only way to go. Some places refurbish them with new O rings before they sell them, New kegs would be nice if you want to impress somebody but hell kegs go in the keezer and beer comes from the taps nobody will ever know. ;)

$2 can of Barkeepers Friend, a little bit of free time, and a cold pint to keep you company, you'll get them shone up like new anyway.

Latest posts

Back