New (old) fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPhad

Reaction score
Found this 1949 GE on Craigslist for $50.
Wanted to turn to kegerator but I don't have the heart to put holes into it.
Basically just proud I found it. Running now and temp is 38.

image-3913005225.jpg

image-1794467910.jpg

I have an old fridge that was my wife's great aunt's... she bought it new! I had the same thought, and then the same heartburn. i just can't bring myself to put holes in it. So, its now a fermentation / lager chamber / meat aging fridge during hunting season. And I am looking for a side by side to chop up.

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like there is enough room under the freezer if you remove shelves and drawers for kegs. Put a box where the water is to mount your taps. Open door, pour beer from a tap, close door. Added advantage, your taps will stay cold.

DaleP said:
Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like there is enough room under the freezer if you remove shelves and drawers for kegs. Put a box where the water is to mount your taps. Open door, pour beer from a tap, close door. Added advantage, your taps will stay cold.

Great idea! Yes there is plenty of room.

Drill it. I just completed my kegerator out of a 1948 General Motors/Fridgidaire retro fridge that looks almost identical to yours except its handle is vertical. Once I took out the shelves, i can fit two kegs and the CO2 tank as well as two cases of beer on the top shelf above the kegs. I think i could probably fit three kegs if i put the CO2 outside. I installed a Perlick faucet and just swap the line between kegs rather than adding a second faucet. I think that helps it looking 'cleaner" from the outside and the chrome blends right in with the style as if it were made that way!

If you do drill, be careful. I have a suspicion mine had asbestos insulation in the door but I can't tell for sure if thats what they used around this time period. Drilling the holes themselves was simple and took all of 15 minutes to complete.

My only real "issue" is that in order to keep mine at 37-38 degrees, my mugs don't get quite as frosty as i'd like in the small icebox. If i turn it up so that the mugs get frosty, the internal temp drops below freezing in the rest of the fridge. Mine is almost too cold, tracking at 37.5 degrees with the knob about a millimeter above "defrost" setting. At mid-range setting, mine turns into a large upright freezer at 12 degrees and I assume at its highest setting, it would be below zero.

Tiktock said:
Drill it. I just completed my kegerator out of a 1948 General Motors/Fridgidaire retro fridge that looks almost identical to yours except its handle is vertical. Once I took out the shelves, i can fit two kegs and the CO2 tank as well as two cases of beer on the top shelf above the kegs. I think i could probably fit three kegs if i put the CO2 outside. I installed a Perlick faucet and just swap the line between kegs rather than adding a second faucet. I think that helps it looking 'cleaner" from the outside and the chrome blends right in with the style as if it were made that way!

If you do drill, be careful. I have a suspicion mine had asbestos insulation in the door but I can't tell for sure if thats what they used around this time period. Drilling the holes themselves was simple and took all of 15 minutes to complete.

My only real "issue" is that in order to keep mine at 37-38 degrees, my mugs don't get quite as frosty as i'd like in the small icebox. If i turn it up so that the mugs get frosty, the internal temp drops below freezing in the rest of the fridge. Mine is almost too cold, tracking at 37.5 degrees with the knob about a millimeter above "defrost" setting. At mid-range setting, mine turns into a large upright freezer at 12 degrees and I assume at its highest setting, it would be below zero.

I will consider it. Did you do anything to clean up you outside finish? Mine looks good just dull.

Also would love to see a pic! Thanks

My mother in law has an identical fridge that she said I can have. I have the same issues with putting holes in it.

I had one exactly like that except the handle was vertical. Bought it for $65 but for some reason the compressor stopped working after I had it for a year. Ended up selling it for $50 to a couple of guys. Really wish it would have kept working. Love that thing.

Just drill the holes, it's real metal. If for some reason you want it factory again just weld in sheet metal and repaint. It's no big deal. Come on the beer deserves it.

If I didn't already convert a modern fridge, I may have been able to convince myself. Also, having a freezer is great for storing hops and fruit for future mead. The old fridge will stick around for looks and occasional use.

I only have cobra taps so I will live with opening the door for now
I suspect I'll eventually cut the holes As time and money allow.

Back