New MLT Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipsah

Off the Wagon Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, it's Sunday and I needed something to do after watching my Broncos blow it. Decided to build a new manifold for my Cooler MLT. The old one was copper pipe soldered together and connected to the bulkhead with a SS braid. The new one is CPVC all the way to the bulkhead and is quite a bit bigger. The two main reasons I did this are:

1. CPVC seals up well without soldering and I can take it apart for cleaning.
2. Easier to size and rebuild the CPVC.

I got 73 slits in the CPVC v. the 23 that were in the copper. This, combined with the larger diameter connecter (1/2" CPVC v. SS braid) result in a much better flow through the bulkhead.

The only thing I am wondering now, should I install a third long piece down the middle to maximize drainage? It drains down to about 1/4" (calculated about .5g). I plan on going no sparge with this setup once I can convince SWMBO that I "NEED" a March pump and 10g kettle.

New v. Old
DSC_2663.JPG

New Manifold (upside down)
DSC_2666.JPG

Old Manifold
DSC_2664.JPG

Thanks for the feedback!

sweet good change and yes you should add the addition pipe down the middle. the extra slot with help with extraction:rockin:

sweet good change and yes you should add the addition pipe down the middle. the extra slot with help with extraction:rockin:

Thanks for the advice.

IMG_0458.JPG

I measured the remaining volume at the bottom of the cooler and got a little less than 1/2g. I'm happy with it (for now).

Latest posts

Back