New Michigan Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egrimmer

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I just finished bottling my first batch of homebrew. I used the Brewer's Best seasonal "Summer Ale", the description made it sound similar to an Oberon which is a good summer drinking beer.

Has anybody made this home brew before? I made a few mistakes but documented the whole process. I fermented for 10 days and then bottled, I tasted one after only being bottled for one day. I must say the first impression wasn't the greatest as it had a thin watery taste initially but the after taste was promising. After reading through the threads I've noticed it may be much better after I allow proper carbonation time (3 weeks?).

I also wondering if the taste had something to do with using tap water. Although our water does taste fine, although it does taste like city water.

I'm going to try to be patient but it is difficult with your first batch! In the meantime I've enjoyed it so much I will be buying a kit or putting together my own recipe for the next batch to boil up within the next few weeks.

I thought all the others were joking when they said Michigan brewers were taking over, but there is yet another one. Welcome from another n00b down in the SW corner of the state. I can't help you with your questions, but welcome all the same. Some very helpful people here.

Hey, times are tough in Michigan, I decided to pick a hobby and a good hobby as far as I can tell is to boil up some home brews this summer!

I'm glad to see some other Michiganders around.

was cleaning the house and found all my old homebrew gear in a basement closet (about a dozen years old). It was National Homebrew Day. Figured it was a sign from somewhere. First batch down, looks good, and absolutely having trouble waiting to drink the first beer.

Hello! I'm up in Midland - just made my first batch. It's also a Brewer's Best kit - I'm under the impression that the longer you let it stay in the bottles (at least 3 weeks) before drinking, the better the flavor. I am going to guess that the flavor will continue to improve the longer you wait. The beginners forum here has a lot of good info - I don't have much to contribute but I enjoy reading.

Good luck!
Liz

Waiting 3 weeks is the ultimate test of patience. So far I like to start drinking the bottles 2 weeks into it and then talk intelligently about how the mouthfeel and nose improve so much after the third week.

But what do I know. It just all tastes good to me. Welcome fellow Michigander!

Welcome! This is a great place to spend some time and learn about beer. I have been on here for a few months. After brewing extract for 1 month, I went to all-grain brewing. That was a great decision!! One word of advice.....use the search button. It helps a great deal.

Welcome,

While water profile can have a profound effect on the taste of beer, boiling it removes any nasties. I'm going to assume, though, that using a kit implies you didn't do a full boil. I tend to use bottled water if I'm not doing a full boil--or at least for top off water that isn't boiled. Not saying your beer will be bad, time will tell.

Patience is a virtue for homebrewers...get to brewing more beer and the patience thing gets easier.

Welcome to the forum.

welcome. wow, 1 day in the bottle and you're already taste testing. The first batch is a killer to wait out, but it gets easier the more you brew - start stocking up on bottles now so that you have a variety of batches to sample from, and always have 'something' brewing in the fermenter.

I fermented for 10 days and then bottled, I tasted one after only being bottled for one day. I must say the first impression wasn't the greatest as it had a thin watery taste initially but the after taste was promising. After reading through the threads I've noticed it may be much better after I allow proper carbonation time (3 weeks?).

I also wondering if the taste had something to do with using tap water. Although our water does taste fine, although it does taste like city water.

Welcome from Michigan :mug:
Egrmmer, don't wory about our water - here in Michigan we are lucky to have the best water in the country (Great Lakes State, remember?).
IMO the best way to do the fermentation is 1-2-4. 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary, 4 weeks in bottles.

Brew on, Brother! :rockin:

Welcome and I think you will find the flavor and mouthfeel changes quite a bit in the course of a couple of weeks. Just hang in there and you will see. Try not to drink it up before it gets good!

Also, note that Xiang is having a brewday coming up just south of Muskegon, and if you can make it, it would be a great way to see some others do their thing!

Welcome fellow Michigander! I have also noticed MANY MANY of us swamping this site. Michigan water does seem to be really good but watch out for high chlorine and chloramine levels. I had problems with my first batch but I use campden tablets now, per John Palmer's recommendations.

Make sure you condition in the bottle at room temperature as long as the room isn't too hot. Wait at least 2 weeks then put one in the fridge to cool then try. Usually won't try one until after 2 weeks which is still a bit early but I like them. Get better around 3 weeks. I'm in west Michigan.

Latest posts

Back