Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woobleymobley

Reaction score
I am new to the art of home brewing, just started to ferment my first batch Oatmeal Stout
Stopped bubbling after 2 days because I lowered the temperature from 72 to 66!
Not a good idea, I used a heating pad to raise temp back to 72 and started bubbling again.
Did not take long, hopefully it will be good. Broke my hydrometer so no idea

Welcome to the obsession. Don't think the temp pause in fermentation activity should be a problem. As you've learned already, every brewer needs a spare hydrometer, or three. Good thing they are cheap.

Brew on :mug:

Patience my friend, patience. The temperature swing shouldn't be a big deal, but let the beer finish fermenting and start clearing before you package it. Two weeks minimum. And BTW, welcome to HBT.

Hi
I have just joined this forum. I’m an all grain brewer and restarted brewing about 12 years ago. I live in the Northwest UK in Warrington about 20 miles west of Manchester and 20 miles east of Liverpool. Favourite beers (all😂) Bitters, APA, IPA, Wheat Beers.

Hi
I have just joined this forum. I’m an all grain brewer and restarted brewing about 12 years ago. I live in the Northwest UK in Warrington about 20 miles west of Manchester and 20 miles east of Liverpool. Favourite beers (all😂) Bitters, APA, IPA, Wheat Beers.
My family left Mobberley near Cheshire to come to America, landed in Point Tobacco Maryland in the 1680s.
The Bulls Head features Wobberley Mobberley beer.
Just finding my roots

Hi
Welcome!

Welcome from Missouri!
I'll second the refractometer vs hydrometer. Checked them side by side for several batches and never got more than two points difference. Close enough for me. Also remember to calibrate before each use.

Patience my friend, patience. The temperature swing shouldn't be a big deal, but let the beer finish fermenting and start clearing before you package it. Two weeks minimum. And BTW, welcome to HBT.
Thank you, my brew started bubbling again while I was out of town but has now stopped again. I am on day 15 and I broke my hydrometer before I could get a reading before starting fermentation. I plan to leave it alone for at least another week. ShouldI wait longer or plan to keg it in a week? Oatmeal stout

15 days should be plenty of time to finish fermenting. I would definitely bottle next week.

Plan to replace that hydrometer before your next brew day. It's an important tool which helps you know about your current batch, but also helps you understand the efficiency of your brewing method. If you're not hitting expected gravity numbers you can find ways to improve your efficiency or compensate with additional grain.

Here's a link to a great hydrometer that measures in single digits making it more accurate and easier to read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001X2B4T0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

15 days should be plenty of time to finish fermenting. I would definitely bottle next week.

Plan to replace that hydrometer before your next brew day. It's an important tool which helps you know about your current batch, but also helps you understand the efficiency of your brewing method. If you're not hitting expected gravity numbers you can find ways to improve your efficiency or compensate with additional grain.

Here's a link to a great hydrometer that measures in single digits making it more accurate and easier to read.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001X2B4T0?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Thank you I will order asap

Back