New member introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzniwasi

Fijiniwasi
Reaction score
Hi, I’m a Kiwi (New Zealand) and have just joined. I am a novice at brewing and intend to learn and better my brewing skills from the fellow members.
My first question is is it better to buy a kegerator or make one using a second hand fridge? If I were to make one would using a chest freezer with external temperature control be the way to go or should I be using a fridge with an external temperature control. Appreciate your responses.

i like my fridge, i'd dread having to lift a full keg over the wall of a chest freezer....in my fridge, i just have to lift them like 8-9 inchs into it...

And of Course, Welcome! :mug:

(and i've seen used fridges like mine going for $85USD)

In New Zealand, likely less expensive to convert a 2nd hand fridge. You can put 3 to 4 corny kegs and the fridge Temp control works fine without anything additional. If you do a chest freezer, you need a temperature controller.

Hi @nzniwasi, welcome to our forums!
You've found the right place.

If you're serious about learning to brew and understand the underlying processes, John Palmer's How to Brew, 4th Ed. is the book of choice.

What kind of brewing ingredients can you get where you live?

Many (maybe most) of us homebrewers have built our own kegerator or keezer, just the way we want them, with our choice of (stainless, forward sealing) taps, EVA Barrier lines, larger tank, good brand regulator, etc.

I use an upright freezer, easy to get 5 kegs in and out. Taps come through the door.
A friend of mine has regular (top-freezer) fridges with lines going through the wall into his bar room that has 12 taps on the other side of that wall.

Many commercially available kegerators are more expensive than homebuilt, yet tend to have lower grade (brass, rear sealing) taps, too short, vinyl lines, smaller tank and possibly a non-brand regulator.

Aside from a kegerator, depending on your local climate and such, you may need a way to control your fermentation temps (for example, 64-70F), as that makes better beer. That's probably most important.
An externally temp controlled fridge or freezer is the easiest but there are many other solutions, some even free.

Hi @nzniwasi, welcome to our forums!
You've found the right place.

If you're serious about learning to brew and understand the underlying processes, John Palmer's How to Brew, 4th Ed. is the book of choice.

What kind of brewing ingredients can you get where you live?

Many (maybe most) of us homebrewers have built our own kegerator or keezer, just the way we want them, with our choice of (stainless, forward sealing) taps, EVA Barrier lines, larger tank, good brand regulator, etc.

I use an upright freezer, easy to get 5 kegs in and out. Taps come through the door.
A friend of mine has regular (top-freezer) fridges with lines going through the wall into his bar room that has 12 taps on the other side of that wall.

Many commercially available kegerators are more expensive than homebuilt, yet tend to have lower grade (brass, rear sealing) taps, too short, vinyl lines, smaller tank and possibly a non-brand regulator.

Aside from a kegerator, depending on your local climate and such, you may need a way to control your fermentation temps (for example, 64-70F), as that makes better beer. That's probably most important.
An externally temp controlled fridge or freezer is the easiest but there are many other solutions, some even free.
Thanks response appreciated, We do get everything for home brewing, your recommendation on John’s book is noted. I take that building your own kegerator is a better option.

Thanks for the responses from what I have gathered is building your own kegerator is the way to go because of the versatility you get.

Thanks for the responses from what I have gathered is building your own kegerator is the way to go because of the versatility you get.
Yes, versatility and customization is important to many of us, as is the choice of the various parts used.

You could save money too, depending on your locality's market. From what I gather, many commercial kegerators for domestic beer dispensing are built in China and rebranded. Quality can vary widely.

Another point is that most commercial kegerators only have space for 1, 2, or occasionally 3 kegs. A homebuilt one can have as many as you want, depending on size chosen with as many taps, and kind of taps as you see fit.
Many homebrewers also use their keezer/kegerator for conditioning, lagering, or carbonating filled kegs, along with kegs for dispensing. Those are then put on tap a few weeks or months later. Keep a potential need for some extra space in mind.

For inspiration:
We have a DIY (sub)forum dedicated to kegerator/keezer builds:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/kegerators-keezers.252/
As well as a discussion forum about bottling and kegging with many kegging and kegerator/keezer topics.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forums/bottling-kegging.35/

Latest posts

Back