New MA-CT Group Grain Buy (Sept. 2011)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godrick

Reaction score
Guys,
I've located someone in the group who has a N Country account and who is willing to place the order for us. Now we need to decide (1) who will handle the cash and, (2) find a business shipping address with a loading dock or fork lift to receive the order.

Regarding #1 - I'm willing and have a PayPal acct, but am unfamiliar with processing $ between individuals. If someone else would like to handle this it's fine with me.

Regarding #2 - I have a friend locally (Pittsfield, MA) with the necessary shipping address & etc., but this location may not be convenient to everyone else.

I'm open to any suggestions.

What say you?

Frank (godrick)

I would be in for 2 sacks and a couple pounds of hops. I cannot handle any of the other details, sorry.

I'd be good for at least one sack. Pittsfield is a bit of a hike though. Maybe a few guys local to Boston could organize something for transport.

Skarekrough said:
I'd be good for at least one sack. Pittsfield is a bit of a hike though. Maybe a few guys local to Boston could organize something for transport.

I'd be in for at least a couple sacks if I could pick up close to Boston.

I'd be interested in getting some more grain. I also know another brewer that would be interested in getting some. I'd be interested in about 5-7 sacks of grain... I would need a pickup location closer to central MA (Shrewsbury wasn't all that bad last time)... I could pick up grain for some others, depending on the weather and such (I only have a Ranger, so not a full sized truck bed). Since I'm looking to go in for a decent sack count, I'm not sure how much room will be left in my truck bed. I think I was able to get about 10-12 sacks of grain into it last time.

As for the payment option, if the people use the 'gift' option, then the person getting the funds won't be charged any fees. If they also have a paypal account that will help too (I have one)...

If this is going to happen before the end of November, then I'm in. So we need some more people to commit to getting grain so we can fill up a pallet. If the delivery location is still going to be out in Pittsfield, then we're going to need some people going between there (BFE IMO) and the rest of civilization. :eek: Hopefully at least one person with a full sized pickup that we can coordinate with.

Sorry guys,
I began this thread to get something going in MA, but as nothing happened I hooked up with the CT group grain buy which is closed now and will arrive this week. However, should you pull together enough people for a pallet, PM me and I'll do what I can to help.
godrick

Are there any good homebrew shops in Worcester area? I'm just getting started and I'm making lists of suppliers, online and local, that I want to check out. I'm looking for 10 gal batch quantities, max, right now.

Are there any good homebrew shops in Worcester area? I'm just getting started and I'm making lists of suppliers, online and local, that I want to check out. I'm looking for 10 gal batch quantities, max, right now.

https://www.beerbrew.com/ these guys have a location in West Boylston. I've never been to that one, but I go to their Cambridge location and it's pretty good.

In the future, Does Worcester as a pickup spot work for everyone?

Depends on where in Worcester it is... Shrewsbury was a really good location to pick up last time. Although, since I've joined Worts, I'm not sure if I'll need to go in on another group grain buy. I have four sacks of grain coming right now. That should carry me through into either of the first two grain buys in 2012 (they do 3 a year). The membership more than pays for itself with just one grain buy. Even if you only get one sack of grain, you're either breaking even, or ahead. :rockin:

Not 100% sure but I think we need to purchase a pallet. I believe a pallet is 42 bags.

I'm in for 5 at least, that's 17 and if Flexbrew still wants 2 then were almost halfway there. Let's get this together. We need a drop off location and someone with an account to place the order, right?

Yes that is what we need. If the drop off is out west I can bring some sacks from the drop off to the Newton Ma area. Also if anyone wanted to split some specialty malts I would be down for that.

crazyirishman34 said:
Yes that is what we need. If the drop off is out west I can bring some sacks from the drop off to the Newton Ma area. Also if anyone wanted to split some specialty malts I would be down for that.

I'd be interested is chopping a couple of specialty malts.

I'd be interested in half sacks of Munich and Crystal 40. If anyone wants to split 4 ways, I'd be interested in any of carapils, chocolate or some kind of darker crystal.

I fired off an email to the fellow that helped with the last group buy and hopefully will be hearing from him soon. If not I talked with the folks at N Country and pretty much you just need a TIN number to setup an account so I will look into that

Back