New laterals after harvest?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
I planted a cascade rhizome this year and trained up two bines that grew about 20 ft. It was all vertical growth though, no laterals on either bine. They put out a decent about of cones for a first year and I harvested a couple of weeks ago.

Now, post-harvest, one of the bines sprouted new leaves on the bottom (I trimmed the leaves on the first couple of feet) and laterals shot out on the first 6 feet or so. I kept watering after harvest because the vines look nice in front of my apartment but did NOT fertilize or anything. There are even some buds on the laterals like the plant is going to flower again!

What should I do? Wait it out and see what happens? Will I get a second harvest? If I let it flower again this season will it hurt next season's growth?

Some people are lucky enough to get a second harvest - you might be one of them! GL

Just let them grow. You won't have time for them to make more cones but it's a good sign of a healthy plant. Any green leaves will continue to produce carbohydrates to send back to the crown and give you a great start next year. As long as you have decent soil additional fertilizer isn't really necessary - although I usually compost Spring and Fall mostly to help condition the soil. Get ready for BIG things next Spring!

Just let them grow. You won't have time for them to make more cones but it's a good sign of a healthy plant. Any green leaves will continue to produce carbohydrates to send back to the crown and give you a great start next year. As long as you have decent soil additional fertilizer isn't really necessary - although I usually compost Spring and Fall mostly to help condition the soil. Get ready for BIG things next Spring!

He may have time to harvest more cones this year - he is in So Cal. I harvested hops a few weeks back and have a bunch of new burrs and cones forming. In NC we often don't get a fall frost until Thanksgiving so it should be plenty of time for a second small harvest. So Cal may not even get a frost, so I'd think he'll have time to let the cones develop.

big,
I understand your thinking but many plants respond to the total hours of daylight when doing their reproductive business, and hops are one of those plants. I'm not sure if the lessening amounts of daylight will enable the plants to produce usable hops. Only one way to find out though!

Back