New Kombucha Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilMac

Reaction score
Havent made any in 25 years so back to basics.
Did a starter batch with the inoculation from a bottle of store bought Kombucha drink.
Plan on adding this to a 4 gall batch, this is about 3.5L

BHzDVAI.jpg

s66ZiZK.jpg

CQ6lfb4.jpg

My wife just bought me a kombucha starter kit and I just bottled my first 2.5 gallons and it's already almost gone! I plan on doing 3 gallon batches, kegging 2.5g, and having two kegs in rotation so it's always available! TBH I think it's a great alternative to beer on nights or other times you want a efervescent drink without killing pints o beer! Cheers!

Does the hydrometer add any value to kombucha brewing? I was under the impression that it wouldnt be accurate post fermentation because sugars are consumed but only a few sugars become alcohol. I'm already on my 2nd batch. My first was 2 gallons finished, second I upped it to 3 gallons as the first batch went quick

Its mainly for starting sg, that way I can keep a constant. Hard to measure water with no large graduated containers, can easily loose count using a 1L measuring cup :)

Crap, went moldy, never happened before :(
Stupid, I used the whole scoby, have to get a new source...... Just checked fridge, still had a cup left in a bottle from the last batch :)

AJZk0YR.jpg

4yOS4Q3.jpg

1QwfVsC.jpg

Wow, that sucks. It’s good you had something to start over with!

What was different this time? Any idea how it got infected?

No, I was surprised, a small batch is less likely so no idea what happened.

That's a bummer! You take good photos, though, it looks almost pretty! I had to throw out a relatively new scoby because my brew was coming out sulfurous. I was able to grow a new one and now I have two venerable ones that always float. As long as I don't do anything reckless (like pouring hot water on one a while back) they make really mellow brew!

Thanks!
Have to start over, have the ingredients, just haven't had the enthusiasm to start :) Stupid I used the whole one for the bucket size. Live and Learn :)

What cover did you use? What I mean by that is did you fully cover the top with and airtight non-breathable lid, because that is what most likely gave you mold. Air tight will either kill it or make it moldy to due air moisture. Or did you use something breathable like a coffee filter/towel?

Buckets are wide, have a huge opening, and relatively large headspace. That makes for a lot of oxygen exposure with cheesecloth. Could that be part of the problem?

It's only the low pH in Kombucha that protects the batch from intruders. In deep vessels, could the pH on top be significantly higher than on the bottom, allowing nasties to grow on the surface?

If you have multy layer cheese cloth then ok, however if one misses something and theirs some spores in their then game over.
Going to fabric land or other fabric place is great to get proper cotton, its tighter then the commercial stuff.

Back