New Kegerator this week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMBrewer

Reaction score
I have a fridge set up for two cornies. I want to have two on tap at all times. Here are a couple questions... Keep in mind I have always bottled and never kegged.

1) How large of a CO2 tank do I need? Will 5lb be sufficient?

2) For my CO2 regulator can I just get one? I have seen some that are specifically for a duel keg system.

3) I have three cornies. One is sealed well, I have Oxy in all three buy only one doesn't leak when I tip it upside down. How do I fix the other two?

Thanks.

I have a fridge set up for two cornies. I want to have two on tap at all times. Here are a couple questions... Keep in mind I have always bottled and never kegged.

1) How large of a CO2 tank do I need? Will 5lb be sufficient?

5lb is plenty to start.

2) For my CO2 regulator can I just get one? I have seen some that are specifically for a duel keg system.

If you want to carbonate to different pressures you will need a dual regulator setup. Many beers can be carbonated to the same level and be fine so unless you know you are going to brew some English bitters or Scottish ales and have them on tap at the same time as your IPA you can get by with a single regulator (for now;))

3) I have three cornies. One is sealed well, I have Oxy in all three buy only one doesn't leak when I tip it upside down. How do I fix the other two?

I would wait until you have them hooked up and pressurized, they don't seal properly until under pressure.

Thanks.

Hopes this helps

GT

1) 5lb tank will be sufficient to start with. I have a 5 lb tank and I can usually carb and dispense 12 to 15 kegs with it. I have a little CO2 charger if for some reason I run out at an inopportune time. I plan on getting 20 lb tank at some point just so I can use it longer. I will keep my 5 lb for emergencies and my charger for ease of transport. You can get one of those chargers at Morebeer.com or Austinhomebrew.com for like 12 bucks and you can use 12 or 16 gram CO2 cartridges.

2) Get one for now. Save yourself the money and don't get the one that has 2 gauges on it. I have that one and the second gauge is supposed to read the pressure to let you know when the tank is almost empty. My plumber friend said that I was wasting my money and I didn't take his advice. Every time I have seen that needle drop it's been when my tank has been 5 minutes away from being empty. It hasn't had any practical use to me at all.

3) Take the disconnect stems off with a pair of pliers. Disassemble the tube and all the little parts for the stem and soak them in the oxi clean. If that doesn't work. you can buy o-ring kits from the places I mentioned above or maybe your LHBS. They are real cheap. You could also replace the spring assembly inside the stem with a new one as the o-ring kits don't have washers for that. I understand that these are real cheap too. If that doesn't work, then the only thing I can think of is that the stems have some damage that you can't really see. You could replace those at relatively small expenditure. I bet however that it is either a matter of them not being clean or the o-rings gone bad.

:tank:

Back