New kegerator.... foamy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonW

Reaction score
I've been wanting a kegerator for a while now and have been searching c-list pretty regularly. I finally scored one for $150 and rushed out to buy a keg.

Well as you could imagine, with me being a draft noob I have got nothing but foam.

So I let the keg sit over night (~9 hours) before tapping. The water temp in the kegerator is 32-33 degrees. I have 6' of tubing and my serving pressure is 8psi.

After searching the forum I'm guessing I need longer tubing, but any other advice would be appreciated.

10 feet of the correct size tuning will decrease the foaming. Also look into getting the tower cold. I have a small computer fan blowing cold air up into the tower.

Thanks for the replies. I am already looking into a fan for the tower and new tubing.

One question though, is there such a thing as too much tubing? I found 100' of tubing on amazon for $10 bucks and was thinking of trying that. Obviously not the whole 100 ft but maybe 25 ft. Is this a bad thing?

I have the same kererator as u I think and had the same problem I put a piece of dbl sided tape on a small computer fan and stuck it 2 the top by the beer line going in the tower and pointed it at the back wall seemed 2 help a little ...than I went and bought new beer line which also helped a little more

Thanks for the replies. I am already looking into a fan for the tower and new tubing.

One question though, is there such a thing as too much tubing? I found 100' of tubing on amazon for $10 bucks and was thinking of trying that. Obviously not the whole 100 ft but maybe 25 ft. Is this a bad thing?

There's crazy long and 25 feet of 3/16" ID line would be in that ballpark.
You'd need to keep a book handy to read while pouring ;)

10-12 feet is plenty. But get real beer line, not just random tubing...

Cheers!

Yes, I am using a Sankey coupler. Serving pressure started at 8psi but I have dialed it back to 6 so far

Obviously not the whole 100 ft but maybe 25 ft. Is this a bad thing?

Begin with 12ft of 3/16" beer tubing. You ought to be able to get excellent pours at about 12psi (which you need to maintain carbonation at about 2.5) at 38*F with a fan blowing up into the tower. If you want more foam, trim back a foot at a time.

Back