New keg day tradition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EzMak24

Reaction score
I started a new keg day tradition today. Whenever I keg my beers I am planning on making a loaf of beer bread with it. Super easy to make and figured I would see how it turns out with each beer style. Sweet stout beer bread is in the oven.

Nice! I've made pizza dough a few times with yeast from the primary...

The brown ale yeast made the best dough so far; the IIPA, not so much.

I would imagine your bread will turn out really good.

That sounds like a great idea! Could you walk me through the process of gathering the yeast? Just not sure if you use some trub or maybe some of the beer itself? I'm totally new to this stuff...
Cheers,
Collin

I just rack the beer into the keg or bottling bucket, and take a couple tablespoons of the yeast cake (yes there's dead yeast, hop sludge, etc) and add that to the dough recipe...

Basically Alton Brown's dough...

2 cups flour (high gluten or bread flour is best; but often use AP flour or a mix of AP/Whole Wheat)
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
~2 Tbsp yeast dregs from primary :D
3/4 cup ~105*F water.

Knead for awhile, either refrigerate overnight; or let rise for ~2-3 hours.

Makes two ~12" crusts.

i assumed he was just using the beer to replace the water portion of the bread recipe? good idea to use the yeast too, but how do you translate between what you'd normally use for dry yeast into slurry from brewing?

i assumed he was just using the beer to replace the water portion of the bread recipe? good idea to use the yeast too, but how do you translate between what you'd normally use for dry yeast into slurry from brewing?

I just use a couple Tbsp...

I know the EAC's will say you can't make good dough with beer yeast; but I like the concept. I actually first heard about it from Prescott Brewing Co. which makes pizzas at their brew pub with their beer yeast.

Just tried the beer bread. Taste kinda like banana nut bread somehow....lol

It's often referred to a banana flavor, as well; I think. :eek:

There is a slight off flavor in the beer I wasn't able to identify. I think it was masked by the other flavors in the stout. Maybe while cooking it came through a lot more. At least it makes a good bread.

This is making me hungry sounds awesome. I also make bread on the day I brew with the spent grain from mashing

Back