New in New Mexico, but temporarily overseas...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cakehole

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am returning to the HomeBrew world after an absence of about 16 years. I figured that it is about time I made my own beer as I have become very tired of the lack of flavors in BMC.

I also needed a new hobby. Reading much of this board I am starting to get the feel ing I might just need a second job to pay for what I think will become my new obsession. I allready am pondering how I can come up with the thousands of dollars for that spiffy electronic brew sculpture and a walk-in cooler for my garage.

Focus referred my to the site and told me that everything I ned to know can be found here. He said that if it is not posted in the forums allready, there are probably 10 people out there in this group that can answer any question I have. I have found that to be absolutely true.

can't wait to leave the hot, sandy place the Air Force has me temporarily stationed and return to New Mexico and get that first batch into the fermenter!!

Think I will try for a nice simple pale ale from extract for myfirst batch or two and see where we go from there!!

Glad to be here, and look forward to spending a long time brewing in the future!!

Dennis

Welcome! And welcome back to brewing! A lot has changed in 16 years, and I bet you'll find most everything has improved considerably (except this stupid hop shortage).

I just left New Mexico for Texas. Wanna buy my house?

No thanks Yuri, I hear through the grapevine you are a Flight-suit wearer that was stationed at Holloman. At least Albuquerque has some culture !!!

I myself am an Oxy-moron. ( Military Intel Officer ) I guess that is actually a triple threat.....

But if I tell you what I really do for a living I need to kill you and take away all of your homebrew equipment in the name of national security.:)

Yes, the gangs are bad. In fact, the night before I deployed the neighborhood was hit by a crime spree. A gang went house to house, car to car, stealing everything they could. I did, however, get to hear the best thing ever over the police loudspeaker:

" You in the vehicle ! Come out with your hands up or we will release the dogs!"

It only took about 30 seconds for a car full of punks to give up and start crying for mommy.

So Yuri, ever been to KIKR and flown with the TACOS?

dcahill110 said:
Yes, the gangs are bad. In fact, the night before I deployed the neighborhood was hit by a crime spree. A gang went house to house, car to car, stealing everything they could. I did, however, get to hear the best thing ever over the police loudspeaker:

" You in the vehicle ! Come out with your hands up or we will release the dogs!"

It only took about 30 seconds for a car full of punks to give up and start crying for mommy.

So Yuri, ever been to KIKR and flown with the TACOS?

Not a flight guy....but I have done a bit of work with the TACOS. I work about 5 min from their hangars.

By the way my house is for sale IN ABQ. (sorry Yuri).

Good to see some more NM folks here, there is only a handful that I can tell.

So Bru-er, you work on Kirtland? Where at?

I might have found a house on the westside, near Unser and Ladera. Not a bad commute in the AM to get on base, but really crappy getting home in the PM>

I hope that is my house....I am within a mile.

I work at the labs. I visit the Tacos to make measurements and the like with their Jets.

dcahill110 said:
So Bru-er, you work on Kirtland? Where at?

I might have found a house on the westside, near Unser and Ladera. Not a bad commute in the AM to get on base, but really crappy getting home in the PM>

I hit that intersection by 6:30AM - straight shot up to the Wyoming gate. 15 - 20 min tops. They are ripping up the interstate though. In the afternoon crapshoot at best. I try to leave aroung 4:30 - to beat the 5PM traffic.

Ha!! I have probably taken you out to the flightline. I am their security manager and most industrial visitors go through my office ( if maintenance is following all the rules about security clearances and access to the jets ).

I can guarantee it is not your house, I am looking at buying my parents house. Nasty situation... divorce. But I am in a position to help mom out and keep her off of the streets.

I have never actually hit anything other than the hanger. My old neighbor works for the guard. I think he does the survival kits or ejections seats or something.

I am currently looking at a trip out there in the next few weeks/months. When are you back in town? We can hook up since you will be following me to and from work daily.

I know him as Joey. He had some personel issues and he sold his house an moved. I think he is still there, I saw him in your lobby about a year ago.

I hate to be the one to break this, but Joey passed away about 9 months ago. He went quietly in his sleep. He is definately missed by all of us at work as he was a really fantastic person.

Now there is another guy in life support named Joe, but he lives down south in Los Lunas area. Joe is short stocky and blonde, Joey was short and dark haired former Marine.

That is really sad. That guy had 3 - little ones. He was pretty messed up after the whole thing with his family. But that is the right description. His truck had a huge falcon (I think falcon not a football guy) on the rear window. Man that sucks, I spent hours talking to him over the wall.

Back