New home brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkh389

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been reading this forum as well as John Palmer's site for brewing instructions. I actually started an Irish Stout this past Sat. and am trying to resist the temptation of peeking at it! I plan on leaving it in the primary for a long four weeks.

Thanks!

Hey jkh, an Irish stout sounds awesome right now! I'm very new too, but I've read that fermenting in the primary for too long can absorb yeasty flavors or something to that extent. I don't know for sure, but just thought i'd put that out there in case it helps.

Hey jkh, an Irish stout sounds awesome right now! I'm very new too, but I've read that fermenting in the primary for too long can absorb yeasty flavors or something to that extent. I don't know for sure, but just thought i'd put that out there in case it helps.
I leave everything three weeks or more in primary then transfer to a secondary and cold crash.....if he leaves it 4 weeks or even 4 months I would bet he is fine.

The fear had been that if you waited too long the yeast would go cannibal or dead and you would get terrible flavors. This is not true however, as has been recently (past couple years) disproved.

Truth is many of us leave brew in a primary for months without issue. So wanted to make sure you and the OP don't get your minds disturbed with older false info.

Glad the brew is going happy! Let us know how it turns out!

Hello,

I've been reading this forum as well as John Palmer's site for brewing instructions. I actually started an Irish Stout this past Sat. and am trying to resist the temptation of peeking at it! I plan on leaving it in the primary for a long four weeks.

Thanks!

I had the same thing, I got a carboy so at least I get to look at it, but I went and bought another one so I could brew two at a time!

My biggest piece of advice.. find something to distract you for the next few weeks! Waiting on that first brew is near brutal!

My biggest piece of advice.. find something to distract you for the next few weeks! Waiting on that first brew is near brutal!

I totally agree! I can't help but wanting to take a peek since the brew is right around the corner. I try to distract myself at home by steering clear of the brew AND looking up information on my next brew which will most likely be an amber ale =).

Also, a lot of info I've read has SUPPORTED the 3-4 weeks in the primary. I do hope that all my sediments settle by then. My hops bag actually looked like it was leaking hop fragments into the brew, therefore, I'm hoping that stuff settles to the bottom before I rack.

I totally agree! I can't help but wanting to take a peek since the brew is right around the corner. I try to distract myself at home by steering clear of the brew AND looking up information on my next brew which will most likely be an amber ale =).

Also, a lot of info I've read has SUPPORTED the 3-4 weeks in the primary. I do hope that all my sediments settle by then. My hops bag actually looked like it was leaking hop fragments into the brew, therefore, I'm hoping that stuff settles to the bottom before I rack.

Lots of people don't even use hops bags and just let it settle to the bottom, same with dry hopping

Yes, I lager on the yeast cake for up to 3 months and have never had any problems. I would probably rack it off the yeast if it were more than that.

My hops bag actually looked like it was leaking hop fragments into the brew, therefore, I'm hoping that stuff settles to the bottom before I rack.

If you have a way of cooling it down (putting it in a fridge or something) before you rack it, this can sometimes help to get the hop chunks to drop down if they are still floating.

You think waiting on the fermentor for three weeks is hard, try waiting 3-4 weeks for your beer to condition or clear in the fridge!!! It is impossible for me, I have to keep "sampling"!

3-4 weeks primary is great advice.

I think learning patience is one of the hardest things to learn when it comes to homebrewing! Anyone can tell you what temp. or how much grain but how do you tell someone to be patient, besides just saying "be patient"?

Good luck and trust in the brewers here on HBT, there are a lot of great brewers here!

Hello,

Thanks!

Well now this sounds so fermiliar..... First brew - Irish Stout AG kit from Midwest BS on April 3. Hit OG spot on 1.070. checked on day 10 and had 1.012 (instructions said 1.014 for FG) Still bubbling a bit. Last Sunday was Week 3 and Im getting ready to bottle.
So awesome. oh and the samples taste spot on Guiness Stout (-nitro)

I did get a little antsy so Ive got a bucket of skeeterpee (traditional hard lemonaide) fermenting away.... YES this is an attempt to make something for SWMBO :) that and I love the process of it all.

Enjoy! and remember you cant short cut time.

Back